Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never posted on this forum but hope I'm in the right category. On my 2011 Escape my speed control just stopped working. Always worked great but now nothing. Thought it could be a fuse issue but can't seem to locate one. Is there a way I can troubleshoot this problem?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
507 Posts
Never posted on this forum but hope I'm in the right category. On my 2011 Escape my speed control just stopped working. Always worked great but now nothing. Thought it could be a fuse issue but can't seem to locate one. Is there a way I can troubleshoot this problem?
Thanks
Welcome moose boy,
Do you have an owners manual? It will show you the location of fuses whether they are in the main block under the dash, or what is in the PDB under the hood

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I've gone over everything mentioned and it all seems good. No lights or error signs happening. Just up and quit one day. Anything else to look for?
Do your brake lights function? Is there any play in your brake pedal? That is a cut off for the cruise control, which if it is malfunctioning could prevent it from even turning on

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you notice on the diagram, the brake switch has 4 wires. One circuit is for the brake light, the other is for the cruise control. So, just because the brake lights work, does not mean the switch is good.

Reason for 2 switches built into one? The slightest touch to the brake peddle shut off the cruise control, before the brake lights come on.

Do you have an enhanced scanner to show PIDs?

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you notice on the diagram, the brake switch has 4 wires. One circuit is for the brake light, the other is for the cruise control. So, just because the brake lights work, does not mean the switch is good.

Reason for 2 switches built into one? The slightest touch to the brake peddle shut off the cruise control, before the brake lights come on.

Do you have an enhanced scanner to show PIDs?

View attachment 2486
My brake lights work. Not to sound stupid but what is an enhanced scanner?

·
Registered
264 Posts
The brake light switch on your vehicle has 2 different switches built into one unit, or 2 different circuits in one switch. For this vehicle, the brake switch is called the pedal position switch (PPS). Why? If I'm driving with cruise on and I want to disengage the cruise without reaching for the steering column switch, I just tap the brake peddle. Cruise off. I hit resume on the column to reengage at my prior set speed. This light tap does not turn on the brake lights (another circuit).

When I press firmer on the brake peddle, the brake lights come on.

Why this design? As not to disrupt the flow of traffic or annoy the drivers behind us while tapping on the brake peddle to disengage the cruise control.

With this type of switch, the normal brake light may work correctly, but the cruise control portion of the switch may not.

Every time you turn the key on, a circuit check is performed for important vehicle systems (modules). During this circuit check, a fault may be found, and a module will shut down. If the check found a fault with the PPS, cruise shut off.

Scanners and enhanced scanners, and why trouble codes are important, I'll cover this topic tomorrow. Dinner is a waiting.

Your question about enhanced is a good one!

Silver bullet. 99% it's the PPS has failed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the brake lights and there working as should. If it is the PPS is this something I can do myself? Any idea what they run? Thanks,you've been a wealth on information.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I checked the brake lights and there working as should. If it is the PPS is this something I can do myself? Any idea what they run? Thanks,you've been a wealth on information.
The two switches are integrated as one, as Dwight explained… brake light function does not ensure PPS function.
They are very easy to replace. Just shine light at the top of your brake pedal arm and you'll see it. You don't even need to be a contortionist ( :

1 - 11 of 11 Posts