Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here. I've owned this car since 2013, the only major problem besides new tires/12v battery was that I had the radiator replaced. I noticed this issue started a little over a year ago.

So here's what's going on: I've noticed the ICE doesn't turn on to charge the battery like it usually does when it starts getting low. This only occurs while it's in park or if I'm holding the brakes. Even if I hold the brakes and rev the engine myself, it still won't charge the battery. The way i can tell is that the ac starts blowing warm air. As soon as I start driving it again the ice turns on and charges the battery and the AC blows cold again.

The issue occurs more when the temperature is above 75-80, but it has happened during winter as well. I'm guessing there's a relay that sometimes works and sometimes not, or maybe a sensor that's going out, or a loose wire? I know very little when it comes to cars, but I do work with industrial electronics. I have a voltmeter and a willingness to try to fix this myself. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I hope someone can help me with this.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would focus my attention to the A/C system. The A/C must be in tip-top shape. A/C is used to cool the HV battery. If the A/C is low on a charge, the PCM will know and shut the regeneration portion of the system off.

Do you have the experience to check the A/C system? If not, take it to a shop to see if the correct amount of refrigerant is in the system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts