Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
I did this last year.
Be patient, it takes some time.
Be prepared to be frustrated, the update was really cranky for me, said it updated twice, but didn't. I recall it took a lot longer than I expected.
I don't know what the magic trick was, but I got the update installed.
The update gave me song/artist on Bluetooth, and I like that. The phone controls, are ok. I turned off the texting on my phone's Bluetooth side , it was annoying that every text would interrupt the radio , and the responses are fairly limited and not editable.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
775 Posts
Want to update my sync 3.1x to the on latest. Any tips or tricks ?
Thanks
Welcome to the city, lambs
You aren't listing any pertinent information like make and model
I would strongly recommend going by your local car audio/alarm installer to see what they can offer you…
They know all the tricks.
How much is your time worth to you, based on hours spent trying to figure it out, are you worth $100 an hour?
four hours you got a new updated stereo installed

or trade in your car for a newer version? ( :

just kidding, but if you scroll down to recommended reading… It can become a nightmare. Somethings will work. Somethings don't.

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
775 Posts
I did this last year.
Be prepared to be frustrated, the update was really cranky for me, said it updated twice, but didn't. I recall it took a lot longer than I expected.
The update gave me song/artist on Bluetooth, and I like that. The phone controls, are ok. I turned off the texting on my phone's Bluetooth side , it was annoying that every text would interrupt the radio , and the responses are fairly limited and not editable.

Just a question… Where did you get the update from? Did you burn it on to a flash drive and plug it into the USB port?
if so, where did you find the update program?
I messed with it on my 2009, but was never able to find a link to the upgrade software

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this last year.

I did this last year.

I did this last year.

What type of update did you have please if I may. Version and support ( dvd, USB key..)

· Registered
1,475 Posts
I don't think that Ford has the updates for the older SYNC 1 available any longer available for download, so you have to get creative and find them posted/hosted by someone. I assume you have SYNC1 with the blue dot matrix display. They also seemed to have gotten rid of the page that shows the versions to allow you do search for them.

If you go to the SYNC updates page (https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/) and input our VIN or log in if you have added your vehicle, it might show an update available, and best case it shows a download available, but probably just shows contact dealer.

As mentioned, newer versions have added functionality, and there is a sweet spot as to if it supports Alexa/Hey Google microphone (a must for me, and latest version disables it).

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that Ford has the updates for the older SYNC 1 available any longer available for download, so you have to get creative and find them posted/hosted by someone. I assume you have SYNC1 with the blue dot matrix display. They also seemed to have gotten rid of the page that shows the versions to allow you do search for them.

If you go to the SYNC updates page (https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/) and input our VIN or log in if you have added your vehicle, it might show an update available, and best case it shows a download available, but probably just shows contact dealer.

As mentioned, newer versions have added functionality, and there is a sweet spot as to if it supports Alexa/Hey Google microphone (a must for me, and latest version disables it).
Sync 3.1x that's the version I have and need to go to the latest, if not possible, version 3.4 would be ok...

· Registered
1,475 Posts
The best is 4.4. It is much more reliable "return to last input being bluetooth", adds song info to the display (I have my phone in a dock in the CD slot, and have maps displayed), and doesn't disable Siri (not sure why I said Alexa...).

A very quick search for it (SYNC 1 4.4 download) found plenty of people that have provided it for download. I found the 3.x series to be basically useless, and 4.6 disabled my favorite feature, so I tried all versions I could find and found 4.4 to be the best (for my usage).

With 3.x I always had to press the mic button and say "bluetooth audio" and 50% of the time it worked. It always defaulted to Line In.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best is 4.4. It is much more reliable "return to last input being bluetooth", adds song info to the display (I have my phone in a dock in the CD slot, and have maps displayed), and doesn't disable Siri (not sure why I said Alexa...).

A very quick search for it (SYNC 1 4.4 download) found plenty of people that have provided it for download. I found the 3.x series to be basically useless, and 4.6 disabled my favorite feature, so I tried all versions I could find and found 4.4 to be the best (for my usage).

With 3.x I always had to press the mic button and say "bluetooth audio" and 50% of the time it worked. It always defaulted to Line In.
Thanks for the tips, will look for V4.4 compatible with my 2011 Escape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts