Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
The question is. Why isn't this in the factory wiring harness?
The factory 'radio' in modern vehicles is no longer a standalone device like they were in the past. Now it is just one of many 'modules' that communicate with one another on the CANBUS. As such, the dedicated on/off wire has become redundant. On these vehicles, even the radio buttons are their own module on the bus (they are not directly electrically connected to the radio module behind the buttons). So when you press the Power button you are sending a signal over the CANBUS and the radio module sees this and decides to turn itself ON or OFF.

An aftermarket radio is akin to the way factory radios were before all of this came about. Since it has to work with all possible vehicles the 'turn on' wire is still implemented there. And this is why you need these fancy adapters that can see that the vehicle is on via the CANBUS and in turn flip on the 'turn on' wire to your aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The factory 'radio' in modern vehicles is no longer a standalone device like they were in the past. Now it is just one of many 'modules' that communicate with one another on the CANBUS. As such, the dedicated on/off wire has become redundant. On these vehicles, even the radio buttons are their own module on the bus (they are not directly electrically connected to the radio module behind the buttons). So when you press the Power button you are sending a signal over the CANBUS and the radio module sees this and decides to turn itself ON or OFF.

An aftermarket radio is akin to the way factory radios were before all of this came about. Since it has to work with all possible vehicles the 'turn on' wire is still implemented there. And this is why you need these fancy adapters that can see that the vehicle is on via the CANBUS and in turn flip on the 'turn on' wire to your aftermarket radio.
Thanks for the explanation. I can understand it now. I was thinking old technology.

Again, thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, I bought the Crutchfield harness that was suggested in an earlier post and was finally able to try it out last night. The past few weeks has been nothing but setting up for our daughter's baby shower.

The crux of it is. It didn't work. I think my radio is dead. I replaced the fuse in it, even though it was still good. The radio did not come on. sigh

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the update. Well that bites. I was thinking the radio was bad from the description of your post. Simple power and ground directly to the battery for an easy test for most any radio. No need to test HS/LS comm or LIN communications signals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well. Another update. After spending a month playing with our new grandbaby. I decided to try again. I took the radio to a friends friend who does car audio and found that the radio does still work. I redid my wire crimping and ta-da... I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, but it's working now. it's running on the Crutchfield harness. Not bad for 3 months of work... LOL... (yes, I like to laugh at myself)

Radio Steering wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle audio

21 - 26 of 26 Posts