Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions and hope some insight can help. I have a 12 escape with a 2.5 L engine that I just swapped. It will not even try to turn over, and I have a wire that looks like it is supposed to attach to the starter, but is not long enough to reach it. It gets a short burst of power when the key is turned to start. I have no idea where it is supposed to connect.

The other question I have, is that the old engine had a cam position sensor, this has what appears to be a VVT solenoid. Is this truck clever enough to run the solenoid? or is there a update for the ECM?

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
That looks like a ground wire. There are 2 grounds from the battery. One ground to the body, the other to the starter stud. Item 5 on my diagram.

The wiring diagram shows the wires to the far left. BK-VT, black with a violet strip.

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but if the original engine did not VVT and the new does, it will not work. Both engines will have a camshaft position sensor. A VVT engine has a camshaft phaser actuator, a non-VVT engine of course will not.

Stop and make sure you have the correct engine. No sense wasting time on the crank, when it won't start.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
What would a non VVT engine come from? From 2009 (when it got the 2.5) to present it is a VVT engine. The 2.3 was not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to rain on your parade, but if the original engine did not VVT and the new does, it will not work. Both engines will have a camshaft position sensor. A VVT engine has a camshaft phaser actuator, a non-VVT engine of course will not.

Stop and make sure you have the correct engine. No sense wasting time on the crank, when it won't start.
Thank you for your reply. Not news I wanted to hear but....I guess it's back to the drawing board. this trucklet isn't far from the scrap heap.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Maybe you could post a few pictures of the top of each engine. That should allow those who know them to identify what you have.
The PATS system could be messing with the power to the starter as it disables the starter(I think) when it does not recognize an authorized key.
A 2012 is a lot newer vehicle than I would expect to be headed for the boneyard. With current 'situation' I expect a 4 cylinder of that size would be an in-demand vehicle. Unless it has other damage, it would likely be worth fixing.
Did you check the 8th digit of the VIN? A '3' is a 2.5l Hybrid, and a '7' is a non-hybrid 2.5l. The hybrid is available from car dash part dot come at varying prices. 30-odd pages of results. There were over 100 pages of results for the non-hybrid. In most cases, the hybrid will not have VVT and the non-hybrid will have the more 'sophisticated' engine. 2010-2011-2012 Fusions were common to the non-hybrid engines offered to fit the Escape.
An example from the middle of the 1st page of results was a 2010 Milan 2.5 for $300, with 70,000 miles. This is an image from a 2012 escape:

I do not know the parts, but it appears it has a cam sensor on the front cam at the front end of the engine.
Can you return the engine purchased and swap for a model that matches? Depending on your source, most places that are not self-serve will allow that.
tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I have worked through the starter issue, between faulty starter and proper grounding, I got it to crank. I worked the old cam position sensor onto this new engine. I figured that it would work in the new engine, but it took some mild machining and cleaning to get it into the motor. Once all was done, I started it and it ran! It idled smooth, and I was able to drive it around the block a few times. Eventually it threw a code, about an open cam position sensor circuit. Still,it runs smooth, and throttles up predictably. I don't know how serious the error code is, but it still starts and runs just fine.
I want to thank all who gave insight to guide me on my way. It certainly made a difference! Glad you guys helped out! Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts