Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Limited AWD V6 Flex
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I noticed a knocking noise on the driver's side front going over bumps. Did some research and lots of videos mentioned replacing the sway bar links as they commonly fail. Last week we replaced both of the front sway bar links with the MOOG sway bar links. During our test drive we noticed the noise did not stop. Well today, a new noise has appeared. A similar knocking/clunking sound is coming from the front end of the vehicle but it is higher pitched and occurs more frequently. It kept happening a ton on my drive home and was even happening on flat/even road surface. I will attach a video. If anyone has had a similar issue please let me know. I plan to take it to a shop but still would like to know what's going on. It has 62k miles and I'm probably not going to drive it anywhere now until we can get it in a shop.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
539 Posts
A couple of months ago I noticed a knocking noise on the driver's side front going over bumps. Did some research and lots of videos mentioned replacing the sway bar links as they commonly fail. Last week we replaced both of the front sway bar links with the MOOG sway bar links. During our test drive we noticed the noise did not stop. Well today, a new noise has appeared. A similar knocking/clunking sound is coming from the front end of the vehicle but it is higher pitched and occurs more frequently. It kept happening a ton on my drive home and was even happening on flat/even road surface. I will attach a video. If anyone has had a similar issue please let me know. I plan to take it to a shop but still would like to know what's going on. It has 62k miles and I'm probably not going to drive it anywhere now until we can get it in a shop.

Almost sounds like your front air dam is broken, or loose… It sounds like a body panel being flogged by a dead bird in the wind
It does not sound mechanical, or dangerous. You may have to crawl around underneath the car, and look for something that could be loose/broken
I can't imagine that being a higher pitch now, but may be more frequent? If you got a higher pitch noise, it might be something else that whatever has been clunking into

·
Registered
Limited AWD V6 Flex
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almost sounds like your front air dam is broken, or loose… It sounds like a body panel being flogged by a dead bird in the wind
It does not sound mechanical, or dangerous. You may have to crawl around underneath the car, and look for something that could be loose/broken
I can't imagine that being a higher pitch now, but may be more frequent? If you got a higher pitch noise, it might be something else that whatever has been clunking into
That sound in the video is the 'higher-pitched more frequent noise'. This video i'm going to attach here is what it has been sounding like for a couple of months (
) the video I attached in the original post is what just started happening recently.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
539 Posts
That sound in the video is the 'higher-pitched more frequent noise'. This video i'm going to attach here is what it has been sounding like for a couple of months the video I attached in the original post is what just started happening recently.
The only high pitch noise I hear in the first video is your NAV prompt pings, the Ford tech video has the same bumping sound.

you changed the sway bar end links, did you check the sway bar to frame mounting bushings?
Have you checked the rear end links, and bar mounting bushings? If you can wiggle anything, that's your source of noise.

The only other thing I would guess is a motor or transmission mount. If you try to make another video inside your car, I am going to suggest turning off your NAV while you do it.
Have you gotten back under to check the tightness of the end link bolts you replaced, if you did not Loctite them, you may need to re-torque them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This is very similar to what im dealing with. I replaced CV Axle, Bearings, and it ended up being the transfer case. Sucks but evidently this is a common problem with the escapes. I ended up buying from lkq and having a local trans shop replace it. Out the door at $900 with parts and labor. Here is a cool thread on replacement if you need.

·
Registered
Limited AWD V6 Flex
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kind of forgot about this thread but I took it to a local mechanic and after they had it on the lift it turns out one of my control arm bushings was bad and the other control arm was completely ruined. You can't just replace the bushing on the control arm because of the way these model escapes were made. Two new lower control arms and everything's fixed!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glad to 'hear' you are getting problems solved!
I have 2 'O8's that I had to replace both the lower control arms/ball joints, and the stabilizer links on both sides, on both of them!
I found that the bolt going vertically through bushing had several threads corroded, and while the theads would engage, pull the bolt up, and keep it up, it would not really tighten, because it did not have threads on that small section...so, while it would not fall out, it stayed loose, and thus, the bushing would easily shift around and clunk.

So, new ones are like $24+ at dealers; mych cheaper at a salvage yard, if you got 18mm socket, breaker bar, ratchet and pry bar.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts