Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing around on the Build and Price page for the Focus... gee, they're really aiming for the premium market. A few clicks (I started at SEL trim... I don't want hubcaps) and I was staring at a $24,000 MSRP. My Escape was had a $28,500 MSRP tag! To be fair, this Focus has leather seats, bigger wheels, a considerably nicer interior than the Escape (to fit the new Ford theme, I guess), MyTouch, butt warmers, side indicators... but still!

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
That does seem a bit pricey. Maybe they are pricing them high so they can offer discounts and still make decent money on each car :shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I remember reading an article about how (in general) Americans don't like small cars, and one of the biggest complaints are how barren they are- no leather seats, crappy stereos, no sound deadening, cheap appearances. Europeans like small, well appointed cars like the Mercedes C230 hatchback and they're as quiet, comfortable and good looking as an E-class, it's just smaller. So if you want someone to get out of their Eddie Bauer Explorer into a small car, why not offer the same equipment on a more fuel efficient, easier to park vehicle? I like having a range of options in a car. I think VW has a good idea: the cheapest Jetta is $16K, the most expensive GTI (same platform) is $29K. That way you can get it as base or as nice as you want.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ajax said:
I remember reading an article about how (in general) Americans don't like small cars, and one of the biggest complaints are how barren they are- no leather seats, crappy stereos, no sound deadening, cheap appearances. Europeans like small, well appointed cars like the Mercedes C230 hatchback and they're as quiet, comfortable and good looking as an E-class, it's just smaller. So if you want someone to get out of their Eddie Bauer Explorer into a small car, why not offer the same equipment on a more fuel efficient, easier to park car? I like having a range of options in a car. I think VW has a good idea: the cheapest Jetta is $16K, the most expensive GTI (same platform) is $29K. That way you can get it as base or as nice as you want.
That's a good point, I guess. You have me there. I wonder how difficult it will be for others to get over that stigma and how Fords are supposed to be the mainstream brand. Could you imagine a Lincoln-fied Focus going for $35,000?

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The same reason there's no Lincoln E/M/T. Cadillac is trying this with a Equinox, good luck I say. It's pretty ugly..... :doh:

With the Focus, I managed to run a Honey Mustard 5 door Titanium edition up to $28,500! :shades: It has 18" wheels, sport 6 speed auto, nav, leather, rain sensing wipers, sunroof, SYNC, reverse beepers, winter package, very decked out really.

Well this is irritating about the 2012 Focus...... according to Ford's website, the nicest model I can get with a 5 speed is the base SE with Sport package!?! I can get cruise, sunroof, SYNC and MyFord but still...... To make matters worse(!) if I pick a manual and leather, I get black, silver or grey for colors, not one of the funky blues or yellows. :cuss: That would run me $22,500 for the hatch in silver with 16" rims. Unfortunately I can't get the 10 speaker Sony system with the 5 speed at all so I'd have to go aftermarket for the speakers and sub.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
FYI I read somewhere that Ford is now giving a "Titanium" model to most of its cars and trucks, which are the ultra luxury models which will bridge the (theoretical) gap between Ford and Lincoln or in some cases replace Mercury. The F150 Platinum replaces the Mark LT truck.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's already a Titanium-trim Flex, so I believe it. To be honest, I love the name... instead of Limited (which everyone else uses)... Titanium. Way to be among the expensive metals. Of course, EU Ford has been doing this for a while now.

I hope they use Tungsten for sport models or something. I'd totally get one and swap out the U for an A to make it my own.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Ajax said:
The same reason there's no Lincoln E/M/T. Cadillac is trying this with a Equinox, good luck I say. It's pretty ugly..... :doh:

With the Focus, I managed to run a Honey Mustard 5 door Titanium edition up to $28,500! :shades: It has 18" wheels, sport 6 speed auto, nav, leather, rain sensing wipers, sunroof, SYNC, reverse beepers, winter package, very decked out really.

Well this is irritating about the 2012 Focus...... according to Ford's website, the nicest model I can get with a 5 speed is the base SE with Sport package!?! I can get cruise, sunroof, SYNC and MyFord but still...... To make matters worse(!) if I pick a manual and leather, I get black, silver or grey for colors, not one of the funky blues or yellows. :cuss: That would run me $22,500 for the hatch in silver with 16" rims. Unfortunately I can't get the 10 speaker Sony system with the 5 speed at all so I'd have to go aftermarket for the speakers and sub.
With the Mercury Mariner on the way out. If it isn't gone already...Ford has decided in it's wisedom to introduce a new Lincoln mini-UTE. Basically replacing the Mariner. :confused: Why not just keep the Mercury name on select "bridge" models?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts