Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I've got a 2012 FEH with under 100k miles and it's been a reliable except for when I leave the car for more than 2-3 weeks without starting it. The HEV and the 12v batteries both get very low while I'm gone. I tried putting a battery tender on the 12v battery and it remained fully charged, however the HEV battery nearly discharged regardless of the 12v tender. My question is should I disconnect both the 12v batter and the HEV high voltage battery when I leave the vehicle for more than 3-4 weeks? Will that keep the HEV high voltage battery from discharging while gone?

I ask this as I had my first big scare I left the vehicle in the garage for 3 weeks and when I came back it would not start. Both the Wrench and the red triangle was on the vehicle display when trying to start. The solutions such as the one on youtube
where my backup plan in case it did not start. I was lucky that heating up the HEV battery pack for 6 hours using a room heater brought the voltage up enough to restart the vehicle.

But for next time, would disconnecting both 12v and HEV high voltage batter (with disconnect twist knob) keep this from happening or extend the time I can leave the vehicle without starting?

Many thanks.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
500 Posts
typically, disconnecting your batteries will save you hassles during storage. If you have disconnects on your vehicle, I would use them.

The owners manual states you need to start your car, and drive it for 15 minutes minimum, every 15 days.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You would need to disconnect the data cable from the HVTB, as well. It's the one on the front of the HVTB on the driver's side.

Another option is to build a charger for the HVTB and install a charging cable in the HVTB. I did it for my '09. If you go to electicvehicleforums.com and search for the Ford Escape Hybrid forum, you'll see a thread "HV Jump Starter" stickied to the very top. It explains how to build the charger, where to buy the parts ($50-$60) and how to connect the charging cable. You can do all of this with the HVTB in place, but you do have to remove its cover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts