Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 3.0 160,000

140lb compression
Replaced spark plugs
Swaped coil with cylinder 6
Replaced cylinder 1 fuel injector
Replaced downstream O2 sensor

The long-term fuel trim is high.

p0201 came up so I changed the injector.

I don't know what else to do.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Could be the wiring/connector to that injector. While it might be the PCM, it is usually the coil drivers that go bad, not the injector. You can try a noid light (the trigger for the injector is ground, it should have a constant 12v on one side, same colored wire to each injector).

· Registered
3,824 Posts
You could use a spark plug tester (for small engines) inline with the COP to feed the #1 plug. Observe the spark across the tester if functional. If it sparks consistently, then you can do the injector test bangster suggested, or do his first, depending on tools at hand.
You can 'borrow' some tools from auto parts stores, buy, use, return in good condition and get refunded, so you would not have to buy a set of noid lights, or perhaps a spark tester for that matter.
tom

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooked noid lights to 1 and 3 at the same time. 1 did not light at times. I left the battery disconnected for a while and hooked everything back up and drove around for an hour no misfires or MIL. Parked and sat idling for a couple minutes started misfiring. Drove home check engine light flashing all the way back with periodic engine vibration, no MIL. Stopped in driveway MIL comes, permanent P0301 and P0201.

· Registered
981 Posts
Hooked noid lights to 1 and 3 at the same time. 1 did not light at times. I left the battery disconnected for a while and hooked everything back up and drove around for an hour no misfires or MIL. Parked and sat idling for a couple minutes started misfiring. Drove home check engine light flashing all the way back with periodic engine vibration, no MIL. Stopped in driveway MIL comes, permanent P0301 and P0201.
Sounds like a PCM issue. I would consider sending it to Circuit Board Medics and have them test it. They actually run them on live vehicles.

Before I shipped it, I would disconnect the battery and unsnap/snap the quick connects on the PCM several times and see if it was a cranky connection. There are dedicated cleaners for these connectors (don't use WD40!!!)

John

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the PCM and cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner. Still getting P0301 and now p0316 (Engine Misfire Detected on Startup (first 1000 Revolutions)). Drove great for 45 minutes straight, stopped and turned it off. Started it back up and drove off a few minutes later the MIL came on P0301,P0316.

· Registered
3,824 Posts
Have you looked at the 'boots' on the end of the COP? The rubber surrounding the lower end of the COP is supposed to help keep the spark going to the plug instead of the walls of the chamber where the COP lives. Oil can make the rubber a weird substance that will conduct voltage whenever it wants. You will get misfire when the spark goes awry. Cleaning, as far a my experience, will not help. You can visually inspect and possibly see damaged spots where the current has opened a shortcut.
tom

· Registered
3,824 Posts
If the noid is not lighting at times... then it is not getting the signal. I do not know how a noid can flash when the wire is essentially pulled to ground.. .but it will flash OFF which is when the coil & plug fire, so it will flash.
Anyway, no flash means no change in voltage. Two causes, I think, conduction and the actual change of the V present on that pin in the ECM. Could be what has been suggested, a bad connection to the ECM.
Have you taken the 3 large connectors free of the ECM, right there sticking out of the plenum at the base of the windshield? The box that is supposed to prevent water intrusion can allow leakage, and the connectors are not perfect, and could have some corrosion.
Just as a thought, the drivers for the spark plugs generally will not FAIL and then WORK, they are either open or shorted when they fail. Having an intermittent points more towards breaking contact, such as a bad pin/socket or a bad solder joint on the circuit board.
The rubber boots on the COPs will mostly fail and get worse with time, and finally the plug will get nothing as it all will take the shortcut. From here, I do not know the frequency of the misfire, but went back to one of the earlier posts and got the impression, from the noid' post, that you have intermittent, and is is really intermittent, but more noticeable at idle rpms. Thus the ECM/pin/board comment.
tom

added.. FWIW, you could be having misfire at higher rpms but because they are hidden among the much higher count/minute, they become indetectable to human senses.

· Registered
3,824 Posts
. If you do a search for "Ford P0201 and P0301 codes" the 201 causes the 301... So concentrate on that. If you read the Repairpal comment here:
They point to close inspection of the conduction/connection. The code is generated when the V is not pulled to 0V, indicating the injector is not being operated. The misfire verifies that.
You may want to inspect the connector terminals closely even though a wiggle test did not show anything. The terminals are very small, and aberrations would be hard to discern. Some connectors can get damaged just by poking with a probe, not that you did that. If you have a boneyard that you can get another harness from, maybe do that. Or get a pigtail with the proper terminals from Ford. There are solutions that can be applied to connectors that will help with conduction. Looking at the PXL vid, it seems the injector is very unstable. As noted by other sources, the ECM failure is very uncommon, leading to looking at the terminations and conductor for indications of problems.
Given you replaced the ECM, and the injector, the common part left is the loom from the coils/injectors to the ECM. It could have corrosion that has picked on one conductor, and eaten away all but a few strands of the wire. And the wiggle test just did not catch it.
tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts