Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper Plant

I'm referring to this hole, used by the jack tool.

Mine just rusted out, took me over an hour to lower old tire, and put a full spare rim, and tire on. It kept rusting out as I went. Very difficult, my 2007 wasn't this bad rusted out.

Is there anyway to replace this hole (name of part)?

I'm scared I won't be able to get it off next time.

· Registered
211 Posts
My 2005 has a similar issue, I think. The keyhole is so rusted that the jack bar end can turn freely in it. Since it is angled inwards, the water stays in the keyhole. Not good for low-grade iron. Well, I keep an old screwdriver in the jack compartment, to use it as a shim to pack the hole and let the jack bar have enough leverage and get the screw to turn. At least the rest of the mechanism hasn't frozen and the tire can move down and up.

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
775 Posts
View attachment 3146

I'm referring to this hole, used by the jack tool.

Mine just rusted out, took me over an hour to lower old tire, and put a full spare rim, and tire on. It kept rusting out as I went. Very difficult, my 2007 wasn't this bad rusted out.

Is there anyway to replace this hole (name of part)?

I'm scared I won't be able to get it off next time.
Both of y'all are correct, they used pot metal for these things.
my first suggestion would be to try a salvage yard, look at different ones and see if you can't find one that isn't rusted out. I may be wrong, but I have not seen these parts listed separately.

The only thing that will prevent this from happening in the future is getting in there with some Vaseline, or any kind of grease really… and lubricating everything you can possibly touch

Grease displaces water, so does WD-40.
you have to spray WD on quarterly? I'm guessing where you live. It does not stay long.

One option I have seen for the undercarriage mounted spare in the rust belt, is purchasing a roof rack and spare mounting system for that, on top of your car

you would still have to lubricate it yearly

me personally, I carry a tire plug kit, and a compressor. Usually much quicker than changing the spare, and definitely much safer on the side of the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts