Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear corner of the sunroof was sticking up about a 1/4 inch. After trying to figure out what was wrong it looked like the plastic cam pieces on that side were not lining up properly and then when trying to open it I hear a loud crack and a couple little plastic pieces come raining down. Has anyone replaced the frame? I can get a used unit from a local junkyard for around $150. Just looks like you remove the pillar trim and headliner then it’s just 8 bolts? Something an average diy mechanic can do in the driveway??

·
Registered
2015 Escape SE 2.0L Turbo
19 Posts
That's pretty much it, not a terrible job to do in your driveway in a few hours
I always go to the U-pull it for things I'm not sure how to do, pay my $3, use those as R&D find all the hidden screws and clips on a vehicle I don't care about

LOL

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
If you are paying a boneyard for a used sunroof, two things I suggest are to inspect the bits that broke on yours to make sure you are not just buying some new troubled units, and get the yard to apply12V to the sunroof and exercise it open then closed a couple times. It should move without complaint, smoothly without binding, and the motor should not sound as if it is strainging to move the panel. Complaints would be screeches and groans as the panel moves in the track.
For that matter, inspect the track where the parts slide, and when you go to install, clean them and apply a light lube, such as 'white grease'. Name escapes me, but I think lithium? You can get it in a spray can to give a thin coating. It doesn't need much.
tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts