Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, to start off, I've already had a couple instances of getting codes for Underboost and the Boost Sensor being bad. But they mysteriously go away and everything at the time seemed fine (with one minor exception that I will get to).

The other day, it started to feel like the engine had no real 'get up and go' desire. The car would still accelerate and reach speed, but I felt like I was having to press the accelerator down more to get it there. At one point, I got the 'Engine Fault' info message come up on my dash, but no Check Engine light and after I restarted the car the message was gone. However, I can still tell it has the same issue.

Part of me thinks it's the boost sensors, but I don't know if there is a way to test those in place. Though I could be wrong. Also, the exception mentioned above, the car tends to feel like it is surging when accelerating, especially when doing so uphill. Not sure if this may be a related issue, and the one time I asked a mechanic to look at it he didn't see an apparent cause and didn't think it was that major of an issue.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
587 Posts
So, to start off, I've already had a couple instances of getting codes for Underboost and the Boost Sensor being bad. But they mysteriously go away and everything at the time seemed fine (with one minor exception that I will get to).

The other day, it started to feel like the engine had no real 'get up and go' desire. The car would still accelerate and reach speed, but I felt like I was having to press the accelerator down more to get it there. At one point, I got the 'Engine Fault' info message come up on my dash, but no Check Engine light and after I restarted the car the message was gone. However, I can still tell it has the same issue.

Part of me thinks it's the boost sensors, but I don't know if there is a way to test those in place. Though I could be wrong. Also, the exception mentioned above, the car tends to feel like it is surging when accelerating, especially when doing so uphill. Not sure if this may be a related issue, and the one time I asked a mechanic to look at it he didn't see an apparent cause and didn't think it was that major of an issue.

Any thoughts?
Intermittent codes is often a wiring issue. I will suggest to follow wires off of sensors, and make sure that they are not hitting exhaust system, there are no obvious kinks, or broken insulation visable.
If wires are loose and bouncing, you could be getting a short intermittently as a loom touches ground,

basically an engine component, or firewall

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
My thoughts went to fuel supply, as in contaminated with H2O or limited supply due to filter clogging or pump delivered volume. Then also, the electrical throttle body, given it kind of 'reset' with a power OFF/ON with the key. Also in the mix is the apparent vacation taken by the turbo. Could be a sticking boost relief, letting all the pressure go down the tubes, so to speak.
I would want to check for any OBD-II codes, and look at some running data, fuel trims, MAF feed rate, fuel rate, boost pressure, etc.
Things just don't 'happen' unless there is a cause. Ignoring a potential failure is one way to assure that it will be a real failulre in the future. I personally think that was bad advice by the tech. Ignore it, and it will go away? I don't think so.
Maybe tell that tech next time you are going to use a 'mechanic in a can' ... to do any and all repairs he would have previously done as might as well, as he's not using his brain... maybe.
tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts