Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This just started happening today. The last 2 days we had very cold weather (close to negative), but today it was in the 50's.

The car was slow to start. It has never been this slow before. Takes about 5 seconds total. After it has been driven, it's easier to start. But the longer it sits, the slower it is to start up.

The gas gauge is also slow to show the correct amount after starting. Usually it's instant, but it took around 20 seconds. Also, the clock is way off. It seemed to have not moved for several hours then started working again. The screen also wasn't saving my last position. I keep it on MPH but it keeps resetting to gas mileage whenever i start the engine.

I also had some strange text appear on the screen. One time it said "Normal Mode" and the other it said "Hill Start Assist not available" I've never seen these pop up before. They both happened when starting up.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I would suspect a battery that is not going to last much longer. When it take 5 seconds to start, does it also sound like the starter is turning the engine over slower?

I don't know what engine you have or other specs, but on my 2017 Escape SE with the 1.5, I milked all the time I could out of the battery. It would no longer do the auto start/stop and I couldn't sit with the engine off and listen to music, it would turn off. Also all remote access through FordPass was disabled. I think I had less than 250 CCA left in the battery when I finally decided I didn't want to be stuck along the highway 1000 miles from home with a bad battery, and replaced it.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I would suspect either the battery or the terminals/wires being damaged or corroded. A poor connection can lead to low voltage or limited amperage, and all the bits are competing for what's available, which in most cases leads to lower working voltage.
If there is a poor ground, some 'items' can become the conduit for others, leading to some 'interesting' situations.
tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts