Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have owned several Explorers, and Escapes. My wife and our daughters LOVE locking their keys in the car, and using the keypad to lock/open the vehicle. So much so, that some swear they will ONLY purchase cars with this feature.

In 2016, we purchased a new (2016) Escape for my wife. This vehicle has a touchpad keypad (ie no buttons like our previous Fords). All was well until one particularly hot afternoon when the touchpad would not work (at all). Since the keys were locked in the car, and we were out of town, this was a real problem. Recently, this has also happened in cold weather.

The dealer claims to know nothing of this type of issue, and, of course, they cannot duplicate the problem whenever we bring the vehicle in.

Hoping someone has experienced this same problem and has an easy fix. Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance...

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I also am used to the more mechanical buttons on my older Fords, and I frequently used them as the others in your household.

I really can't reliably on first or second attempt get my 2017 Escape to unlock (or lock for that matter). I can get it to lock while washing it and spraying it with water. I have yet to have it fail, but it seems like being in the direct sun makes it worse, at night or under my carport seems better. I don't really know about cold affecting it, I rarely see temps into the 30's.

I have stopped using it all that often, since I have FordConnect (at least for the rest of the year, I don't know how much it will cost to continue using it) I lock/unlock it from my cell phone or Google home/Amazon Alexa (I talk to my watch and my car starts, fun stuff).

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
I think those switches work using capacitance rather than a switch contact. Given that, there may be a cleaning solution that may restore the original condition. I think I would clean the surface with something like a mild water:vinegar solution to remove finger oils, and then wipe dry with a clean cotton cloth. It may be possible to change the number setting to one that works reliably if the problem can be narrowed down to one of the number pairs. If you can test the pairs to see if some respond reliably, while others ignore the input, you could update or add a new combination using the remaining functional numbers. A couple last resorts are dealer new part or a used boneyard part.
The newest number pads are apparently 'stick-on' and have a battery of some sort embedded, and use wireless to send a signal to the internal circuits. If yours is that version, replacement may be easier than expected.
I know you can purchase the external pads, and have them enabled in software for models/trims that do not have the external keypad. Ok, pretty sure, but no guarantee. I did see a listing of the keypad with a FoMoCo part number, so they do exist.
tom

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
They have had those stick on keypads for awhile. They emulate a key fob. While it might look right at place on a boxy 2010, it would look like doo doo on a jelly bean 2016. Even if you could find a clever hiding spot for it (like on a roof rack, or fender well) still stick out like a sore thumb (which might be worth it to some for the functionality).

The 2013+ keypads are not mechanical as you mention, they are behind the b pillar. All of the Ford dealer videos show you swiping all along it to wake it up, then enter in your code.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
I just saw one last night, reddish numbers below the surface of the B-pillar(or on the window frame of the door, don't remember, but definitely not a easily replaced item.
The new Maverick has a keypad mounted similarly, but it is a stick-on version from what I understand. If it would interface to the escape transceiver, it could be slapped onto the pillar right over the embedded keypad. Maybe.
If the problematic keypad wakes up when you touch it, i.e., turns on the lights, then it is somewhat functional. I think I would test the individual number pairs when it is not working properly, touch and awaken one at a time, let go back to sleep.. and see if some work consistently while others do not, OR is it a common problem to all. Once determined, changing the entry code or adding a new one may make it functional without any further investment. If they all respond, but you cannot unlock, personally, I would search to see if there was a publicized trouble tree of tests that could be run to determine the cause of the failure, or at least the failed part - sender or receiver...?
tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts