Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,
My 2017 Escape 1.5 has a couple of issues after a front end accident which was repaired.
1. It takes about 20 seconds to start the engine
2. Acceleration is very very slow and takes forever to get up to 50mph.
3. The build date seems a bit off when looking at the “hidden menu”. I’ll attach a pic.

I’ve read a few threads about the hard starts and acceleration, but couldn’t find anything about the third problem. I’ve looked all over the web and found nothing. I also had a mechanic change the fuel filter and pump to “fix” the acceleration issue. That worked for about two weeks and now I’m back to limp mode. Not to sure where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated. I’ll also update in a few days with some problem codes when I get my reader. Thanks!
SCANNED CODES:
P0012
P051B

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
436 Posts
Hey Everyone,
My 2017 Escape 1.5 has a couple of issues after a front end accident which was repaired.
1. It takes about 20 seconds to start the engine
2. Acceleration is very very slow and takes forever to get up to 50mph.
3. The build date seems a bit off when looking at the “hidden menu”. I’ll attach a pic.

I’ve read a few threads about the hard starts and acceleration, but couldn’t find anything about the third problem. I’ve looked all over the web and found nothing. I also had a mechanic change the fuel filter and pump to “fix” the acceleration issue. That worked for about two weeks and now I’m back to limp mode. Not to sure where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated. I’ll also update in a few days with some problem codes when I get my reader. Thanks!
SCANNED CODES:
P0012
P051B
Hi Trig, welcome.
I would recommend going back to your mechanic from two weeks ago…
It almost sounds like you got bad gas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Trig, welcome.
I would recommend going back to your mechanic from two weeks ago…
It almost sounds like you got bad gas
Thanks for the input. The car is at the mechanics now. He checked the part that he put in (fuel pump) and it’s shot. Now he’s going to check the camshaft and troubleshoot. He also mentioned when I picked it up the first time, that the previous owner didn’t look like they kept up on maintenance. I don’t know.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Thanks for the input. The car is at the mechanics now. He checked the part that he put in (fuel pump) and it’s shot. Now he’s going to check the camshaft and troubleshoot. He also mentioned when I picked it up the first time, that the previous owner didn’t look like they kept up on maintenance. I don’t know.
That the fuel pump fixed it last time, count on it to do it again… Don't let them snowball you into throwing parts at it because they might go bad.

They are probably not thrilled with having to replace that pump at their cost… They sound like they are reputable, but don't let them throw parts at it.

you can get it caught up on maintenance in a weekend in your driveway.

I would call a dealership with your vin, get accurate build date information for parts replacement… But I don't think it makes any difference to anything else.

depending on how long ago the accident damage was repaired, I would call that shop as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That the fuel pump fixed it last time, count on it to do it again… Don't let them snowball you into throwing parts at it because they might go bad.

They are probably not thrilled with having to replace that pump at their cost… They sound like they are reputable, but don't let them throw parts at it.

you can get it caught up on maintenance in a weekend in your driveway.

I would call a dealership with your vin, get accurate build date information for parts replacement… But I don't think it makes any difference to anything else.

depending on how long ago the accident damage was repaired, I would call that shop as well.
Yeah, I’m still in investigation mode with both shops. At first, there were 5 codes that popped up and now there are two. The mechanic is long time family used, which might not mean too much. I’ve done most of the basic maintenance myself when we first purchased the vehicle. I will check with the dealership that I purchased it from and see what I can get. Thanks again for your info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I’m still in investigation mode with both shops. At first, there were 5 codes that popped up and now there are two. The mechanic is long time family used, which might not mean too much. I’ve done most of the basic maintenance myself when we first purchased the vehicle. I will check with the dealership that I purchased it from and see what I can get. Thanks again for your info.
I do believe that there is something up with the computer and a sensor as well. Like I said, I’ll be looking into it more.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I do believe that there is something up with the computer and a sensor as well. Like I said, I’ll be looking into it more.
First thing I would do, pull your battery, and have it bench tested for load at your nearest auto parts store

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
The battery is brand new.
I am just recommending you start at the beginning, and go through everything… That way you don't have to wonder if you missed something

I have seen batteries that are brand new

fail… You need to have it load tested

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So… after some diagnosis. We found some metal shards in the (what I can remember) crankcase. Something still doesn’t sit right with me. But, with that said there will be an engine replacement. I’ll also be making sure that the computer will be reset properly as well as certain sensors replaced if needed after the swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts