Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down and upgraded my laptop to the 2nd Generation MacBook Air laptops.
Pro

1. Weight. It weighs only 2.9 lbs for my 13 inch MacBook Air. The 11 inch MacBook Air weighs even less. :shock:

2. Display. It has an incredible display.

3. "Hard Drive". The MacBook Air uses static RAM instead of a traditional hard drive. It comes standard with 64 GB in the 11 inch model. The 13 inch comes standard with 128 GB. I upgraded mine to 256 GB. :yahoo:

4. Battery Life. The MacBook Air has a 30 day standby life on the battery. It has a Lithium polymer battery that takes up half the laptop. I can go typically a day or so on the battery just using it like my old laptop before putting it on the charger. :thumb:

5. Thinness. The MacBook Air is only 0.68 inches (17 mm) thin at its thickest point. :rockon:

Con

1. Optical Drive. It doesn't have one. The work around is you have to access the DVD drive in another computer in order to install software. Some people may think this is a bad thing. It does take some getting used to but Apple figured out a way to make things work in a satisfactory manner.

I have been using it for about a week now and love it. :heart: :heart:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hi Charles!.
Congratulations on the new laptop.
Also thanks, for the informative review.
I enjoyed giving it a perusal. :) :yes: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
How is the heat displacement on it? One of the killers of Gen1 was overheating.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not hot at all. It feels cool as a cucumber.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I purchased the first generation MacBook Air shortly after it was released in January 2008 and have used it extensively when I'm on the road for business or pleasure. (A 1.8 GHz Core w Duo unit with the 80GB hard drive).

I've always defaulted to the desktop to do the serious work, but with home renovations stretching into month #3 (and the desktop packed back into its box for storage during the work), I've been using the MacBook Air full-time as my home computer.

I have to say it is surprisingly good for many (most) tasks… and yes, it can get a bit warm at times (especially when doing any video work), but otherwise it functions without complaint.

This newest version of the MacBook Air definitely intrigues me - another success from Apple.

But are you sure it is Generation 2? It is the third refresh since the first MacBook Air debuted by my count, with upgraded versions released in October 2008 (Machine ID "MacBookAir2,1"), June 2009 (also ID "MacBookAir2,1"), and now these latest models which carry the Machine ID "MacBookAir3,1" (so Apple considers them third generation).

Regardless, a fantastic computer that just keeps getting better and my eventual replacement to my current Air will almost certainly be another Air (unless the iPad takes over - a distinct possibility since the "new generation" of users, including my two daughters, are disinterested in my Mac desktop and MacBook Air and only gravitate towards the iOS devices like my iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad).

:thumb:

·
Registered
277 Posts
cbramsey said:
Con

1. Optical Drive. It doesn't have one.
I purchased the external SuperDrive for my MacBook Air when I bought it in early-2008 and have used it only for initial software installation off disc (in other words, not that frequently).

It is great when you need it, otherwise is remains in its small black box on the bookshelf. No weight or space consumed in the Air, and not often missed. I'm often reminded of the negative comments when Jobs introduced the original iMac without a floppy disc drive… critics thought he was crazy to eliminate that "essential" storage option for users but nowadays younger users find it hard to believe we were all carting around 3.5-inch plastic discs that only held 1.4 MB of information through the '90s (that tended to fail with frustrating frequency -- how many times did I courier drawing files on disc to consultants only to have them call me since the disc access failed because their floppy drive is older/newer than mine with slightly different head alignment as a result).

As Steve noted in January 2008, computer users will be downloading 99% of their information via wireless rather than from physical media. We're almost there as 2011 debuts.

:beer:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HA,

You may be right. I went to my Model Identifier and it read MacBookAir3,2. My bad. :doh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts