Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it was never offered, but could one take a 5spd from say a Contour and swap it place of the auto? Could get the pedals and shifter from a 4cyl scape at a salvage yard. this is something I've been thinking of for a while now. How cool would it be to have a lowered V6 5spd scape? I know the trans from a V6 contour would bolt up to the engine, that ain't the issue. My concern would be bolting to the chassis, which with a lil minor fabrication shouldnt be an issue either, but what about the ecm? Cause I'm sure it controls the trans. If there was no trans would this trigger a CEL or even cause driveability problems?

Any thoughts, questions, concerns or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm, no interest. :confused:

Guess thats why all the automotive manufactures don't put manuals in anything and that really sux for those of use who prefer it over a slush box. :mad:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, it's sucks that manufacturers are barely offing manuals in anything other than lil tiny 4 bangers, most of which it's no longer an option either. I prefer to actually drive my vehicles and full control over what it's doing. Heck with in the next few years you won't even be able to get a manual trans in any of the Fseries trucks. They have not offred it in the F150 since like 05, and soon they are going to stop putting them in the Super Duties. :doh: What ever happened to the days of big engines and manual transmissions in every car or truck?

I figured if this was a possible swap, I may give it a try someday. I already have a Contour trans. But the current scape is 4x4. Id try and find a V6 2wd scape with a bad trans, and swap it to make something more my style since they don't make them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
AWD V6 with a 5speed would be nice. :rockon:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I considered that for my '03 with the six in it, but decided it was too much headache.
My '07 is getting the opposite treatment-- I'm pulling the 2.3 and putting a 3.0 on top. The MTX-75 will happily accept the Duratec 30, as far as I can tell from reading, so everything's happy on the mechanical front, and getting it to mount won't be an issue, either.
Honestly, to do the manual conversion (and to make it look right) will be a huge pain, and will down the car for a bit. Remember, you have details like the PRND on your gauge cluster, the hole for the shifter if it's an '00-'04, linking everything up, et cetera ad nauseum.
I'd try to find one with a stick to begin with. I know it's not the answer you want (believe me, I'm going through an AT/MT conversion in my Camaro, and I hear the same thing about just swap the car out, but I'm too attached to it. You might be in a similar spot with your Escape) but I assure you, it will be the easiest route.
The biggest worry for me is finding a 3.0 of a known good origin. I'm very particular about maintenance, and am a little scared to put just any motor in.

And as far as ECU issues with the trans, I can't say for sure, but I'd think with relative certainty that you'd be correct about it throwing an absolute fit. I've seen ECUs lose their minds over less, and there's a pretty good reason for it to do so. It obviously does not expect you to change the transmission for a different type, and when it can't communicate with the new one, it will think something is wrong with it, and I would think it would go into a self-protective fail-save. I know my mom's old Sebring started stalling itself for no apparent reason when it was having transmission issues. It knew something was wrong, and shut itself down to prevent further damage.

However, this brings an interesting point. Lots of cars use the Duratec 30 and there are manuals among them, so if you acquired an ECU from one of those, I'd think you'd be able to rock the stick.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. I hope I didn't rain on your parade too much. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts