Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-confirms-ecoboost-four-cylinder.html

"In what was hardly the best-kept secret in the automotive world, Ford officially confirmed on Tuesday that it will be bringing its EcoBoost technology to four-cylinder engines. Ford first hinted at the idea of an EcoBoost four-cylinder at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show with the Lincoln C Concept.

According to Edmunds, Ford confirmed the EcoBoost four-cylinder at an event earlier today in Dearborn. Although Ford officials didn't reveal which vehicle will be the first to use the EcoBoost four-cylinder technology, it was revealed that the turbocharged mill will displace 2.0L and generate 230 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque. Early reports indicated the 2.0L will return better than 40 mpg.
Although vehicles like the Ford Focus and Fusion will undoubtedly receive the four-cylinder EcoBoost treatment in the future, the first vehicle to sport such a powerplant in the U.S. will likely be the Ford Escape. The turbo four could replace the Escape's 3.0L V6.
Given that Ford plans to market the EcoBoost four as having the power of a V6 with the fuel economy of a four-cylinder, pretty much any Ford vehicle with a naturally aspirated six-cylinder could be a candidate for the smaller powerplant. However, expect the EcoBoost four-cylinder to start in Ford's smaller cars and work its way up the chain."

230 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of [email protected] 40 mpg... I'm in! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jonas1022 said:
futameca said:
However, expect the EcoBoost four-cylinder to start in Ford's smaller cars and work its way up the chain."

I maybe wrong, but I am thinking they will work their way down the chain. Start where the $ are and work down from there. :bill:
The new Fiesta with 230hp :shock:

Seems like Mazda's been doing the EcoBoost sort of thing with the MazdaSpeed 3 and its 2.3L 4-cylinder Direct-Injection Turbocharged Engine... 263 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque. :thumb: The only drawback is the 91 octane you have to put in it. The EcoBoost will most likely need high octane as well? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
futameca said:
While they're at it, why not throw a 6 speed manual on the back of that thing? I'd definitely buy another one then!

·
Registered
142 Posts
futameca said:

Seems like Mazda's been doing the EcoBoost sort of thing with the MazdaSpeed 3 and its 2.3L 4-cylinder Direct-Injection Turbocharged Engine... 263 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque. :thumb: The only drawback is the 91 octane you have to put in it. The EcoBoost will most likely need high octane as well? :shrug:
I believe ecoboost is supposed to be tuned for 87 octane, in keeping with the mainstream economical applications.

On a related note... I spotted a Fusion test mule with a boost gauge on the a-pillar in metro-Detroit recently. I'd put money on the 2.0 ecoboost showing up in the 2011 Fusion.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
MichaelJD1980 said:
futameca said:

I believe ecoboost is supposed to be tuned for 87 octane, in keeping with the mainstream economical applications.

On a related note... I spotted a Fusion test mule with a boost gauge on the a-pillar in metro-Detroit recently. I'd put money on the 2.0 ecoboost showing up in the 2011 Fusion.
Thanks for that. I might as well, do a search on net. They might have spy photos.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's amazing how much power they can squeeze out of a little 2.0 litre these days.
It's good to see Ford ahead of the competition in this recession. I think these new Eco-Boost engines will keep them there ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Will it make it into the Mustang or Fseries?

I'd heard that every model will eventually have a 4 cylinder in the range.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Next years Mustang will have the 3.5L Eco engine. The F series pickup will get one as well. Current model year F series does not have a V-6 engine offering as the V-8 gets the same mileage as the V-6 (4.2L) and has higher specific output, runs more smoothly and is one less engine to cerifiy. :thumb:

·
Registered
277 Posts
A few more details/comments on Ford's upcoming 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine:

After Ford VP Barb Samardzich officially announced that the 2.0-liter four cylinder EcoBoost engine that's coming next year, a correspondent for the Examiner.com postulated that this engine was in fact nothing more than a re-badged version of the 2.3-liter engine from the MazdaSpeed3. Certainly there are similarities in the specs: both have four cylinders, direct fuel injection, turbocharging, etc., and there has been plenty of collaboration between the two companies. The Mazda CX-9 even uses a version of Ford's 3.7-liter V6.

We checked with Ford and, while they have not released many details of the engine, they did provide some explanation. The EcoBoost, like other recent DuraTec-badged Ford fours, shares a block design with Mazda's similar displacement units. In fact, the EcoBoost block is the same as the Mazda L3T used in the MazdaSpeed3. However, the entire top end of the engine has been redesigned. Like the V6 EcoBoost, the four uses a new direct injection system that is presumably less expensive and allows Ford to use these engines much more widely.

The Mazda engine also requires premium fuel. All of the EcoBoost engines are designed to run on regular, although they will get a bit more power with extra octane. The EcoBoost also gets independent variable timing for each of the intake and exhaust cams.

The upshot: the two engines are built on the same foundations, but they are not the same engine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ford Aus have announced that we will be getting the 2.0 EcoBoost in the Falcon by 2011. Supposedly will be the first RWD to be fitted with the engine. It's been causing a lot of debate down here as to if it will be a success or failure.

I suspect this may be the death of our beloved inline 6 as the modifications to fit the 2.0 EcoBoost would probably allow the fitting of a V6 engine and it if the 2.0 produces the equivelant power and torque that the n/a 6 produces - 1 of them will probably go.

And if the EcoBoost is as good as they are boasting does that mean that all n/a engines will be replaced by a EcoBoost version?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
latan said:
And if the EcoBoost is as good as they are boasting does that mean that all n/a engines will be replaced by a EcoBoost version?
:shrug:

Probably, that eventuality may take a decade or two though.

:tumble:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The ecoboost engines should be great. I'm looking forward to them. More power and better fuel economy! The only thing I am wondering is how it idles. Currently the i4 is pretty lean at idle and there is noticable vibration change when the AC compressor kicks in and out. Even without the AC on, the idle vibration is more than the v6 with AC. I'm just wondering how the ecoboost is going to handle this. If they switch to an electric compressor, well that solves that problem.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im a big fan of V type engines. out of all the vehicles ive owned, iv always preferred the V-6 or V-8's. mind you thats also mostly pre 1994 LoL. only advantage is some of the 4 bangers (as we call them up here) are easier to work on as the V6 transverse mounted engines always have one side facing away from you towards the firewall lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
futameca said:
jonas1022 said:
futameca said:
However, expect the EcoBoost four-cylinder to start in Ford's smaller cars and work its way up the chain."

I maybe wrong, but I am thinking they will work their way down the chain. Start where the $ are and work down from there. :bill:

Mazda's had the turbo 4 from the Mazdaspeed 3 in it's CX7 for a few years now. Sweet little SUVs as well. So Ford's a little behind here, but I think you right about the higher octane requirement. :(.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
100Chuck said:
The EcoBoost in the Taurus SHO runs on 87 octane.
From what I understand, that is the plan for the entire lineup. 87 octane, or regular unleaded. Upmarket cars, like the recent crop of Bullitt Mustangs run fine on 87 octane, and can gain a few hp with the use of Premium Unleaded, but it isn't necessary for the engines health. It knows what it's fuel source is, and adjusts the engine operating map accordingly.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
futameca said:
jonas1022 said:
futameca said:

yeah...but hopefully fords ecoboost doesnt have knock or rod issues like the 2.3L MZR disi engine. That was a "issue" many ms3/ms6 owners had.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts