Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an idea and it turned out pretty good I think.

I wanted an inverter for running my Laptop, maybe charging my phone and AA batteries, might also be handy during camping trips. I noticed the center console was a nice shape for fitting one in there, and I never use that part of the console anyway as it's hard to reach down in there.

I researched models and found the Cobra 480 (400 watts) had the right dimensions to fit, a mounting bracket, and good reviews. It has a cooling fan that is temperature regulated, meaning if it's not warm it shuts off. It has 2 AC plugs and a 5w USB power port. A manual switch shuts it off completely to prevent battery drain, but it is supposed to have a shutoff in the event it senses the batteries voltage drop below a certain point.

It is hard wired to the battery using 8 gauge wire, and grounded to a factory ground just behind the console. Hardest part is drilling the holes for the mounting feet, the front 2 are easy but the third is tricky, and once secured with 3 didn't see any need for a 4th as it's very secure on only 3 bolts.

I can still use the cup holders, tall cups touch it but not enough to matter (I wouldn't want really full or wet cups up there.) It could be installed a bit further back, but I wanted to give it all the room I could for air flow.

Total cost of this project is about $40. I paid about $30 for the inverter, and another $10 for 14' of 8GA battery cable, however I had several feet left over.

Time will tell how it turns out, just got it finished today, but it ran a lamp I used to test it just fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That looks neat! :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts