Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i took my baby out in some mud...(pictures soon to follow)... and i was told, and can visibly see in the dash that my escape is a 4WD vehicle. Even when i start her up, and all the lights do like a run through... i see the '4WD' spot light up... obviously saying the vehicle and go into 4WD... my question is... how? today in the mud, he never once flipped that light on... i never 'felt' a four-wheel drive kick in. When i bought her from the seller, they told me that its an auto four wheel drive. when the front lose traction, the back will kick in. i also had an incident where i was stuck in sand.... at no time did the 4wd kick in... same with the mud run today. she never kicked on. is there something i have to do? something i have to remove or install? appreciate the time to read this....

kev

[mod]Moved to Problems And Solutions.[/mod]

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Since 2005, the light is there to indicate problems with the system.

Take a look under the rear of the car - do you see a rear differential, or is there a frame with a hole in it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KC5ZRQ.....traction control.... i dont think there is even a switch or button to turn that off.... ill check tonite

Squishy... ill check under the car tonite... thanks for the obvious question to ask, that so was completely dumbfounded existed.... [duh kev!!]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maybe the 2007 model doesn't have traction control. On the 2008 & 2009 Escapes, there is a button at the bottom center of the dash column.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squishy... i popped a look under the vehicle the other day and did notice that it had an axle and the transfer case under there... so i guess i do have it and the light on the start-up is there to indicate a problem.... thanks for the helpful info....

kev

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Thanks Kev for posting. That brings up a question I kind of had. Is there ANY indicator or something that will let you know the 4x4/AWD is kicking in? Besides the fact you're not getting stuck. :) I know it's supposed to be seamless, but it would be nice to know if your truck is working for you or taking the day off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
futameca, its funny you mention that. i have a guy that i work with that has this suzuki suv that also has auto 4wd, he told me that he felt a 'kick' when he started getting stuck, and he said there was no light to indicate anything was turned on or working..... like one of the other guys was saying on this forum... the light is just to indicate a problem with the 4wd.... so i guess in all honesty, we just have to trust in the vehicle and believe it actually does work..... im gonna take mine back out a little later on today to really try and see if i can 'feel' and 'kick'.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
In my older (2002) Escape, the system is a little different. It actually gives me a choice of "Auto" and "4x4" via a dial on the center console. I almost always keep it in "Auto". When in "4x4" mode, there is a little light that illuminates on the dash. When it's in "Auto", there is no light. There is nothing to indicate that AWD has engaged. The only way I know it's working is the front wheels will stop spinning after a second or two and the vehicle just goes...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ive had my 04 in auto mode and had the wheels spinning while doing doughnuts in a parking lot in the snow, and i know that i was in 4wd, but there was never a kick or a jolt. the 4wd system in the escape works very smoothly. thanks to the engagement being done by a fluid coupler.

engaging it into 4wd (oh yeah,,, last year you could switch it on..... thats why i got an 04 instead of an 05). it comes on and off seamlessly.

best bet. have a buddy watch your back wheels, and hit the throttle on some mud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for the record... i took her out yesterday, and i slowly entered a sticky mud puddle.... probably not the best way to do it, but i did hear a soft click engaging the back wheels... after rolling down the window i noticed i had all wheels in drive... when it clicked it sounded just like switching a truck into 4wd... you hear the rear diffs and drive shaft engage. but i did notice something... as i was in drive it had all wheels going, however, when i shifted into reverse, i heard the rear diff disengage, and was only riding front wheels while in reverse... so its safe to say my baby does go into 4 wheel drive, and while in 4wd she does not indicate anything saying that shes in it.... so you just have to listen carefully and watch the wheels....

and if anyone has any ideas for an alternator 'skid plate', or some what to cover up the alternator to stop water and mud from getting into her. i would love to see/hear about the ideas....

thanks guys.... and happy 4 wheelin

kev

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
NavyMTBer6969 said:
for the record... i took her out yesterday, and i slowly entered a sticky mud puddle.... probably not the best way to do it, but i did hear a soft click engaging the back wheels... after rolling down the window i noticed i had all wheels in drive... when it clicked it sounded just like switching a truck into 4wd... you hear the rear diffs and drive shaft engage. but i did notice something... as i was in drive it had all wheels going, however, when i shifted into reverse, i heard the rear diff disengage, and was only riding front wheels while in reverse... so its safe to say my baby does go into 4 wheel drive, and while in 4wd she does not indicate anything saying that shes in it.... so you just have to listen carefully and watch the wheels....

kev
Thanks for the heads up... maybe we'll hit some weather on our vacation (doubtful) and we can see it in action.

I posed the question 'cause the Buick has traction control and there is occasion at this intersection on the way home from work to get air enough to make the wheels lose traction and the TC light comes on letting me know (in this case) to stop goofing around. :lol:

Hmmm, I wonder if that's how the lower transmission mount broke... :angel:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
megascape... ill take a good look under the hood to see if i can draw up anything relatively close to a cover... and ill scan and pm the drawings to ya... that way, if your alternator is near same location, you can install one too. but we can talk about that when i see about drawing them up.... btw, you in the north central cali area??

futameca, yea i think and car, in stock setting, especially a buick, getting air between the wheels is a bad thing, and i dont doubt the tranny problem was caused by that :clap: :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts