Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was looking at a video that I had just recently posted and when I looked closer I noticed something kind of odd. I had the 4X4 mode engaged but the rear tires dont spin. Only the fronts are moving.

You will notice that the front tires spin a lot but the rear tires look like they arent even trying. I put my car on a gravel road, put the 4x4 lock on and then floored it but only the fronts would spin. My question is, Is my rear not engaging? Is there a way to fix this? I need your help please!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Do you have any ABS warning lights on? The ABS sensors are used to determine wheelspin.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sir. I havent noticed the ABS light because I am not applying the brakes at the moment. I have read on the "other" Escape forum that this has something to do with the rear diff.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have a silver lining to add to the cloud that is your diff repairs. :cry:

Just think how much better your off-roading will be when you're not stuck in 2wd! :thumb:

Seriously though, I hope it's nothing too serious. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big Chris said:
I have a silver lining to add to the cloud that is your diff repairs. :cry:

Just think how much better your off-roading will be when you're not stuck in 2wd! :thumb:

Seriously though, I hope it's nothing too serious. :)
HAHAHAHA, I was starting to think that too! :lol:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well....I'm a fool.

All well though, atleast this means I dont have to repair the 4x4 system and I can spend more money on mods! w00t!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Use a lift or jackstands and lift that SOB up and put it in drive :wave:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Surfscape said:
I've seen the same thing with my 4x4 system (04). The early system delivers power to the rear wheels yes but at a reduced percentage depending on the wheel speed differential.
Which is why the front diff at least should have had an LSD in it from the start. :mad:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i got stuck in a field a while ago (i will have pics eventually) and my buddy said i had both rear wheels spinning once i lost traction and became stuck. im glad the guy that owns the place also owns a tractor haha. i would see the mud spraying from both front tires at the same time a few times. what are the chances of having an LSD in the rear? cause thats sure how mine was working. and i know i didnt Lincoln lock it. (for those of you who dont know what a lincoln lock is.. its when you weld your spider gears and lock your diff)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts