Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm shopping for a Ford Escape / Mazda Tribute but I'm looking for a standard transmission with AWD... am I wasting my time? does it exist? thanks for your help!

·
Registered
390 Posts
As long as you don't mind the 4 cylinder engine.
Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I don't, I'm actually looking for the 4 cyl. engine... but ive browzed dozens of used car sites and I haven't found a single one... standard/4x4/ 4 cylinder.... if they exist they must be really rare...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think I see what you're asking. My error. I guess some (as I've seen in Edmunds.com) interchange the AWD and 4x4 terminology.
The "4x4" Escape is FWD with the rears engaging as needed. Its not full time 4x4 or AWD
At least in Colorado, its hard to find a 2WD. Maybe dependent on your location

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
AWD? Yes they exist. With a manual, like posted above, with the four banger only. E/M/T are not true "4 X 4" machines, no low range on any of them. Strictly soft roaders. Not a mudder in the bunch.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Pardon my wiki
All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without destroying the drivetrain, although the term may be abused when marketing a vehicle
Are there really AWD Escapes?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Not that is all the time on...unless it's called for. Late model E/M/T have an on demand AWD. If the controller detects wheel spin, it will direct the drive to the wheel (s) with the traction. Earlier models had a button to turn the drive on/off for the rear wheels. I do not recall the change over year, but think that it was 05. I need to check that, there are other threads discussing this very subject. And I am not an expert. I'll see if I can locate one or two for you.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Perhaps a blending of the terms. The '05 4x4/awd 4 cyl I test drove had no dash button like my '02. Regardless of how the drivetrain is described, the system works well.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Well... actually, the early models were on demand AWD as well but had an AUTO and a 4x4 mode. The AUTO mode was front drive until the trans detected slippage. When it did, it would engage the rear wheels as well. The system would take a couple of seconds to engage though. That is why they added the 4x4 mode. It would provide near instant AWD. In 05 they introduced a new AWD system that reacted much quicker so there was no need for a 4x4 mode and it was removed.

I once went offroading with a guy that had a 4x4, manual, 4 cyl Escape. He loved that thing until he got into an accident that totalled it.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
OK, I misunderstood the function switch. I though it was off unless selected to be 4 wheeling... :bag:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
They're pretty rare, but they do exist. A lot of the early Escapes were V6 models. I don't think the I4 caught on until the 2005 revision and the gas crisis hit - I remember several reviews of the 2.0 L I4 comparing acceleration to a city bus. Depending on your area, AWD might be rare as well. Getting the two together might take some hunting.

As to terminology, calling it a 4x4 is just a marketing decision by Ford. The Jeep Liberty is a 4x4, the Ford Escape is AWD. 4x4 drivetrains have low and high range and can usually be switched to 2WD. The Escape's system is computer controlled and "on-demand", with no transfer case. Put the same system in a Mazda 6 and there would be no question that it was AWD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
RobtRoma said:
Well... actually, the early models were on demand AWD as well but had an AUTO and a 4x4 mode. The AUTO mode was front drive until the trans detected slippage. When it did, it would engage the rear wheels as well. The system would take a couple of seconds to engage though. That is why they added the 4x4 mode. It would provide near instant AWD. In 05 they introduced a new AWD system that reacted much quicker so there was no need for a 4x4 mode and it was removed.

I once went offroading with a guy that had a 4x4, manual, 4 cyl Escape. He loved that thing until he got into an accident that totalled it.
Hey RobtRoma...how ya doing? I think we were among the first people to put "4x4" badges on the back of our Escapes back in the day. Well, it was either you or Cincindela, I don't remember for sure. Anyway, are you still driving the same Escape all along, or do you have a newer one now?

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Hey Tom... doin' OK. How about you? Yup, still have the same Escape but I never added any badges so you must be thinking of the bugman... Welcome to the City :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I never really understood the difference between 4x4, AWD, etc.
I'm pretty sure that 4x4 is something that can be engaged, so normally the vehicle would be front wheel drive (or rear wheel drive), and all wheel is all the time 4 wheel drive?
And 4 wheel drive = all wheel drive, right?

I always called my Chevy Blazer a 4x4 because it was only 4 wheel drive if I switched it on to go mudding. Otherwise it was front wheel drive.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
In the 03 Scape the 4X4 when switched on is like 4 wheel drive High Range. I've used it a lot out here During the winters

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Spark757 said:
I'm pretty sure that 4x4 is something that can be engaged, so normally the vehicle would be front wheel drive (or rear wheel drive), and all wheel is all the time 4 wheel drive?

I always called my Chevy Blazer a 4x4 because it was only 4 wheel drive if I switched it on to go mudding. Otherwise it was front wheel drive.
4 wheel drive = 4x4, AWD is...AWD :)

Basically 4x4 is the heavy-duty stuff, and AWD is the girly computer-controlled stuff. At least that's the general market perception, which is why Ford chose to market the Escape as having 4x4. The true 4x4 "Control Trac" systems in the Explorer/Expedition is different from the "Control Trac II" found in the Escape. The new "Intelligent 4WD" system works on the same principles as the Control Trac II system, so it is also an AWD system despite the name.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I see :lol:

My Blazer was 4x4, said right next to the shifter, and I miss it! I wouldn't have my Tribute if it weren't for it's transmission blowing. My Tribby is 2WD, unfortunately. No more mudding for me :(

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Spark757 said:

Don't you mean rear wheel drive?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts