Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i want a DIY work truck that's also easy on gas and looks good and i really like the Escape. 2010-2012 is in my budget.

Can i get sheet goods inside? maybe with tail gate strapped down. I know its a tight fit but suppose i put a platform above the wheel arches, do you think i could get a few 4x8 sheets in or will i have to go on the roof?

thx steve

·
Administrator
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
20,731 Posts
I don't think that 4 x 8 sheets of anything will fit into the rear area of an Escape. I would recommend using the sheets on the roof rack. :yes: I can't even get 4 x 8 sheets into the bed of my F450. Of course my external diesel tank, 5th wheel hitch, and 5th wheel tool box might have played a small part in that. :hyst:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe not what you are looking for, but Grand Marquis and Crown Vic wagons will swallow 4x8s flat on the floor, I have carried over 600 lbs of stuff in them without issue.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I did 4x8 sheets in a 2000 Expedition but it was 4-6 inches too long, couldn't shut the rear door but I think it would fit out the glass.

Maybe that is a selling point of a new Explorer as well, but not an Escape. I had to use my 2012 Fusion to get 10 ft sections of rain gutter and 2x4s, couldn't manipulate the seats in the Escape to let them fit.

A $250 4x8 Harbor Freight Tools trailer? perfect!

·
Registered
60 Posts
As long as you have a place to store it...

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
True. As a home owner with a back yard already having 4 wrecked cars littered about, adding a trailer that folds and uses 1 foot by 4 feet of space is much easier than adding a vehicle for those lumber yard and trash runs.

Not sure how many renters need to haul plywood, I am also new to the concept of town houses, as my daughter just bought one, and the limitations, which is decidedly apartment like.

However I see in her parking lot a folded trailer in front of a parked car in a reserved covered spot, it is chained up to the covered parking beam.

·
Registered
60 Posts
bangster said:
a trailer that folds and uses 1 foot by 4 feet of space
Serious? I might even be able to find space for a thing like that!

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
495 Posts
Hi all, i want a DIY work truck that's also easy on gas and looks good and i really like the Escape. 2010-2012 is in my budget.

Can i get sheet goods inside? maybe with tail gate strapped down. I know its a tight fit but suppose i put a platform above the wheel arches, do you think i could get a few 4x8 sheets in or will i have to go on the roof?

thx steve
I would not hang drywall out the back... Maybe only 3 or 4 sheets up top, pending on plywood thickness. The roof rack is not rated for much weight, I rent a uhaul. Uhaul also installed my class III hitch, with wiring.
The biggest thing I have fit completely inside my 09, is a storm door for front entry.
The heaviest thing I have put on roof rack was 20, 15' 2x4. I think it was maxed out.

the 2020 is significantly smaller in the cargo area, that is the only thing that disappoints me about my new car... besides 19" factory wheels. I pulled those off, and installed 16's. Buying new tires is about 300 cheaper with 16", essentially paying for the new wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts