Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2005 Escape since 2008 and I have always put in 5W-30 oil.
Yesterday I was reading the manual and it suggests 5W-20 semi synthetic. Question is should I be putting
in the recommended oil by Ford or does it matter?
Thanks.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
5W-20 is generally a better quality oil and should be used if you can find it. It was considered exotic when the Escape first came out, but most stores should have it by now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hex said:
I have owned my 2005 Escape since 2008 and I have always put in 5W-30 oil.
Yesterday I was reading the manual and it suggests 5W-20 semi synthetic. Question is should I be putting in the recommended oil by Ford or does it matter?
Thanks.

Matt
Should you be using a 5W-20 semi synthetic oil that Ford, the manufacturer of the vehicle recommends? Sorry to come off sounding like a wise guy but come on Matt, of course you should. I suspect there's some pretty sound, technological reasons why Ford, the manufacturer of the vehicle recommends it. Perhaps the engine was designed around that viscosity. Perhaps it provides better cold start protection. Perhaps it's easier on the oiling system. Perhaps you'll realize better fuel economy vs a 5W-30, 10W-40 or 20W-50.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If your engine was built around the 5w-20 specifications than by all means use it. I haven't read up on it too much but the motorcraft 5w-20 is supposed to be really nice stuff from the little I have read.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little bit of a wise guy.........yes. :bang:
But you are right. I have just always gone with the 5W-30 on all my cars or SUV's.
I will let you know after this weekends oil change with 5W-20 if my millage improves and
the over all running of my Escape.

·
Registered
72 Posts
sleeve said:
If your engine was built around the 5w-20 specifications than by all means use it. I haven't read up on it too much but the motorcraft 5w-20 is supposed to be really nice stuff from the little I have read.
The MC 5W-20 semi-syn is a very good oil. Very good results on oil anaylsis. MC with a Pure One, NAPA Gold or Motorcraft oil filter is an excellent combo. Fram isn't a very good choice according to BITOG members.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I agree. I've used Motorcraft Synthetic 5W20 since I first saw it, and I always use a Motorcraft filter.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
5w20 full synthetic since 90,000km (thats when i got it). and i usually use castrol cause it goes on sale at walmart all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm old school, but I'm still of the opinion that thicker is better. Oil is there for three reasons: 1- lubrication (ie: keep metal from sliding on metal), 2- engine cooling, 3- engine cleaning. Just discussing reason #1, a 30 weight oil will provide a thicker film between the sliding parts than will a 20 weight. As far as starting lubrication, when the most engine wear happens, 5w20 is the same as 5w30. When the oil is cold, it has the viscosity of a 5 weight, which is pretty thin and will provide quicker flow and protection than a heavier weight oil, such as a 10w30. Once the engine warms up (and oil) the viscosity will increase to a heavier (thicker) 20 weight or 30 weight. At least one of the reasons the manufactures are increasingly recommending 20 over 30 weight is for increased gas mileage. Just like stirring molasses, thinner is easier than thicker. That's a good thing, but in my opinion it comes at the cost of engine protection in the form of wear and tear.

So, that's my opinion. 5w20 provides protection with better gas mileage, 5w30 provides better protection at the expense of gas mileage. Now, somebody has stated that the engine tolerances may have been designed around the thinner 20 weight oil. That could be true. My Mazda Miata manual tells me to use 5w20, unless I happen to be in Mexico, where they say 5w30 is just fine. Sounds like government controls for increased gas mileage to me.

Then there's the whole warranty issue....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does your oil filler cap have 5W-20 on it?

I use 5W-20 in the Winter... 5W-30 in the Summer. Synthetic.
We have only a few months worth of cool or cold weather. Summer-type heat can occur from early April until well into November.

I've read here n there that the specified oil for Escapes in Europe is 5W-30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, my oil cap says 5w20 on it. I think you validate my point, though, when you say the Escapes in Europe specify 5w30. 5w20 recommendations in the U.S. are energy savings motivated. The government is pushing the auto makers for higher mpg averages, and thinner oil is one effective way to accomplish that. Life is full of compromises. Maybe better fuel economy is worth a little extra wear and tear on your engine (read shorter engine life) as we look at the grand scope of things. I'm not sure where I stand on that issue, but I do believe 5w30 provides better engine protection than 5w20.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Use what the manual says! :wall:

5w20 will not cause premature death -- even in AZ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
kk- You've got no argument from me. Whatever life the engineers designed the engine to have when running 5w20, it will attain (assuming the owners manual is followed and nothing unexpected happens.) 5w20 provides lubrication and protection, there's no doubt about it. It's a high quality lubricant. It is my opinion, however, that 5w30 will provide greater protection, resulting in longer engine life than it was designed for (using the above logic and all else being equal.) :fire:

·
Registered
187 Posts
the only difference you'll notice is the energy savings (or usage) due to the differences in oil weight once at operating temperature. As long you you maintain a regular oil change interval the engine will last just as long with either oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
to keep it easy, just change your oil every 3k to 4k miles, the car will thank you, oil is oil in most cases, but dont over think it, from 5w20 to 5e30 is not
much to worry, try driving a Rotary engine, its more tedious

·
Registered
82 Posts
either is fine. every 3-4k like mentioned is a waste. 5k is fine for most people, much longer with synthetic. 5w-20 is generally better quality oil as it needs to be to be effective when getting that thin. 5w-30 is cheaper and more widely found though. Another variable to consider is the climate. If you are in a warm climate like say FL, a thicker oil would be better where as for someone in a cold climate like Canada would be better off with thinner oil. with both 5w-20 and 5w-30, both should be the same at temp, just one will be a little thicker when cold then the other, hence the 20 and 30. Another consideration is how long you intend on keeping the vehicle. It's always mildly amusing to see these people that change their oil every couple thousand miles with the best stuff available thinking they are really doing something for themselves when they only keep the car for a few years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
C17- You've got it exactly backwards: 5 is the viscosity of the oil when it is cold, at engine start. Therefore 5w20 and 5w30 provide the same amount of protection as the other at engine start, whether you're in a cold climate or hot. As the oil warms to normal operating temperature the viscosity changes from a 5 weight to either the 20 weight or the 30 weight as specified on the container. 30 weight is thicker than 20. Even then, the outside temperature won't effect it. Your engine, if it's operating properly, will warm up and run at the same operating temperature whether it 10* outside or 80* outside. Your oil also will warm up and attain and maintain it's appropriate specified viscosity, whether that's 20 weight or 30 weight, regardless of the outside temperature.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What does everyone think of 0W20? I used to use AGIP in all my cars and bikes ( fast oil :) ) I wonder if using a thinner oil will help my mileage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think 0w20 is probably better than 5w20, but it's hard to find, at least around where I live. I'm thinking the hardest part of an engine's life is when you start it. The car has sat for awhile, all the oil has drained down to the pan, and, while there is a small film of oil designed to cling to the upper engine parts, it's not much. Anything you can do to get the oil back on the upper parts as quickly as possible when you start that cold engine helps reduce the amount of time the moving parts are running "dry." 0 weight will do that better than 5 weight. I don't think it will help much with gas mileage, though. It's true, the thinner the oil, the less effort the engine has in moving it, and gas mileage increases. However, once the engine has reached operating temperature, 0w20 has the same viscosity as 5w20, so as far as the engine knows, they're identical.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts