Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am looking to change my speakers in my 2006 Ford Escape w/o Mach System. I am going pretty lowball on most components. I purchased a used amp/woofer from a friend, its a kicker amp and a rockford-fosgate woofer, its a few years old but should do the trick.
I am thinking of replacing the headunit with a Pioneer DEH-P6200BT.
I am now looking into speakers, I want to switch the speakers without many modifications to the door. What are the better options for 6x8's?
I am looking at crutchfield canada for everything(mainly due to the support).
How are the Kicker KS680 6"x8" 2-way car speakers or the Kenwood KFC-C6893PS 6"x8" 3-way car speakers.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can replace the stock speakers with 6.5" drivers if you are willing to spend a little time with a jigsaw. Plus, if you're going through Crutchfield, they may even provide the adapter for you. You won't have to do any modifications to the door itself. In my experience, a round speaker reproduces the lower frequencies more efficiently than oval ones. They have some nice component 6.5" speakers on there as well as some full range speakers if you're trying to do this on the cheap, assuming that crutchfield ca has the same inventory as crutchfield usa.

I initially thought that crutchfield had fairly decent prices until I started perusing some of the sites fourthmeal and a few others have linked on this forum. You may want to check them out.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Round speakers also have less non-linear distortion in their output. An oval speaker has this inherent audible distortion that comes from the cone changing shape during movement, as it is not nearly as rigid as a round speaker. Disadvantages of a round speaker (besides making a baffle in ~10 minutes, not really a big deal), is that it is a slightly smaller cone area so overall bass is less given equal power. The easy way around that problem is that you should really be amplifying new speakers anyway.

Kicker is a decent product. I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by worrying about "support", and paying a premium for it though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the infinity reference speakers (6x8) in all of my doors. They are powered and sound great. I wouldn't advise going cheap on something like the door speakers. They are going to be the backbone of your system. You will notice a difference with good speakers as they will be doing the real work for whatever you listen to. I would also check out Alpine's selection. I got mine at Best Buy and for $400 roughly I had 4 great speakers. I agree that you need to power them. Most speakers like this are designed to be powered. The head unit simply isn't going to supply enough power to the speakers. When you underpower the speakers like that, you run the risk of starving them of much needed power and they will eventually overheat and break down. This will not be covered under any warranty.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ICEMAN84 said:
When you underpower the speakers like that, you run the risk of starving them of much needed power and they will eventually overheat and break down.
This part is a myth. The rest I agree with. The truth is that the speaker can handle it because a speaker can handle up to and in most cases beyond its rated power handling number. However, because aftermarket speakers are typically less efficient than the stock stuff, to achieve equal volume to the stock, the amp has to work harder. Consequently, the amp will be driving itself into clipping which not only sounds horrible, it contributes to premature death of the head unit's amp section. This is because clipping effectively flatlines the output transistors that are outputting the signal, maxed out, guaranteeing overheating and destruction eventually.

The speakers simply will not overheat due to too little power. They will sound like crap, but it is due to the amp in the head unit pouring its little heart out and reaching its clipping point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.