Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just looking for some factory sub replacements that will fit. i had a kicker cvt 8" but it has a rattle to it. i think it must be blown. i have 200 watts rms to power the sub. when i put the kicker cvt in i forgot to measure the depth of the factory enclosure. does anyone have the mounting depth measurement for the factory enclosure? also, does anyone know the correct cu ft of the factory enclosure? thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
id like to get something with a little more power handling. i really like the looks of this JL 8W3v3-4 - http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs ... ries_id=27

the mounting depth on it is 4.63 in. though so i doubt it will fit. that is why im after the mounting depth measurement, i dont feel like tearing out my kicker until i have the sub to replace it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
From what I can find, the kicker 8 inch CVT only has 3 3/8" mounting depth. That means the enclosure probably doesn't have that much depth to it. http://www.performancecaraudio.com/subwoofers.html

As for power handling capabilities. What amp are you running on it? If your going to be using the factory amplifier in the hidden box install, the earthquake should handle it just fine. I've been reading a lot on this forum and learning quite a bit regarding power handling capabilities from fourthmeal. (he's something of a guru).

I'm pretty sure he'll pop in here and give some information regarding power handling if I'm way off course here but here it goes. Your amplifier is rated at 200 watts RMS. However, it's not going to be putting out 200 watts at all times. It will normally be putting out anywhere from 10x to 100x less than that. Think about it this way, if it were putting out 200 watts at all times, your subwoofer would be making inaudible oscillations whenever the amplifier was powered up. I currently have two 300 watt RMS Kenwoods running on a Kenwood amp rated at 900 watts RMS bridged down to 2 ohms. They handle it without any problems.

The JL's have something of an abysmal xmax rating in the 10mm range. I'm not positive how much THUMP you're looking for but from what I'm seeing, there are better drivers out there.

Check out fourthmeals information in the second post on this page. http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6530&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

*edit* It occored to me, did you put this factory sub install in yourself or did it come already installed in your vehicle? You may just want to check the make sure everything is tight and snug for mounting screws and such. The rattle may be from something other than the driver itself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i am going to tear it down and take a thorough look at it. im sure it is in the sub but you could be right. i can hear the rattle even at the lowest volume, nothing should be shaking i dont think. but hey you never know. ya i put the sub in myself, i also put 2 alpine type s 5x7's in the front doors, everything is powered off of a kickerzx350.4 amp.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hi guys,

take the sub out, and measure it free-air. See if you can hear any noise. If not, consider that any air leaking from the front side of the woofer and the back side (via leak in the baffle or sub box itself) will be extremely noticeable as a "rattle". Also surrounding parts of the car like the plastic panel can make their own little noises, so deaden where necessary.

The Kicker sub, IMO, is the best you'll get as long as you stay with the stock subwoofer enclosure.

Did that answer everything?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I took out the kicker cvt and put the factory sub back in. There was no leaks. They are sending me a new sub from the place I bought it from. I'd like to keep thefactory sub in the back and build a box for the kicker cvt and put It under one of the front seats.. Get the bass up front. Anyone attempt this yet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I took out the kicker cvt and put the factory sub back in. There was no leaks. They are sending me a new sub from the place I bought it from. I'd like to keep thefactory sub in the back and build a box for the kicker cvt and put It under one of the front seats.. Get the bass up front. Anyone attempt this yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I take it that when playing the sub in a 'free air' situation it still had a rattle in it? I'm glad your distributor was willing to work with you on this. Nothing worse than being stuck with broken "new" equipment.

I haven't seen an "under seat" installation on this forum yet. But I haven't really dug that deep into the custom installs. From what I have gathered around here, there is little to no room under the front seats. There was an install done earlier where one of the members put his amplifiers under the front seats and posted pics of it here.
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6374&p=109946&hilit=alpine#p109946 Fifth post down contains pictures of his amps installed under the seats. There is no measurement device in the picture but most amps aren't that thick. It doesn't look like there is much room under those front seats IMO.

One thing I have been pondering, and I mention it only because you brought up under seat installations, is how much room is under the rear seats? And how much is left when they are folded down for storage use? I know it's probably as abysmal as or worse than the clearance under the front seats.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am still going to do the same...stock box with an aftermarket 8". I am really interested in the Memphis 15-MCP8S4, as it only needs a mounting depth of 4.1", and only needs 150 watts RMS to drive it. I would look at getting one of their new Memphis Refference 16-MR2.240 amps to drive it with (or the MR1.500 monoblock), which would give it over 200 watts RMS at 4 ohms mono (I would just dial back the gain on the amp as to not overdrive the voicecoil on the sub). I think that both of these items could fit in the stock location nicely.

I am curious, as to how your Kicker sounded before you had any problems...was it deeper and harder hitting than the stock sub? I only want a little more low-end extension and a little more volume than stock, hence the beefier aftermarket 8, and larger amp.

Any thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts