Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was just quoted $900 for a brake job. Back brakes where metal to metal, front brakes were sticking so front pad wore down to metal on metal. So new rotors all the way around. Does this price seem high? The labor charge (according to their sign is $93/hr)

·
Registered
161 Posts
It seems high, but when you go places the rotors can easily be around 100-200 a piece. So that price very well could be an accurate price of having someone do it. I would check around other places as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe you can buy the rotor and pads yourself (there are a lot of place you can buy cheap parts on line) and only pay them to install it, might save you some money.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Find a new shop.

2 hours or so in labor, $200 for four rotors, $150 for pads. Under $600 would be reasonable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hell I just did front pads and rotors on our Escape, and even used all Raybestos Brakes (not my first choice) and for both rotors and a set of ceramic pads I was $110 out the door and I even bought locally. Did em all myself in about an hour.

·
Registered
27 Posts
$900 is laughable and extremely high. May I suggest you get your rotors at a salvage yard (contingent upon year) or auto parts store. The process of changing your rotors and brakes will take under a hour if you have the required tools (30mm socket with a breaker bar or impact driver, 17 or 19mm box end wrench, hammer and a 4 inch C-clamp.)

Also, shop around and see how much it would cost to simply replace the rotors as opposed to having them turned. You should be able to purchase rotors for about $100-$150 for a set of two, eventhough, there sold separately.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The reason that most shops simply replace rotors these days, is some OEM's no longer provide minimum thickness guidance for rotors and consider them a 1 time use item now. I do agree that $900 is way too much to pay. You could get a better price at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Do the job yourself my friend. I am sure you can find a how to video online. Ill look if you cant find one.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Get another quote, or if you are so inclined do it yourself. Invite a buddy over who knows how to do it, buy a case of beer (don't drink too much before hand) and in a couple of hours and under $300 you'll have new pads, rotors and shoes.

If this isn't an option, get a recommendation on a mechanic from a friend and let him look at it. I was once quoted over $800 from a chain shop, said no, took it to my dealer and spent $200 on pads, shoes and one caliper slider kit. After 15 years in the business, i can tell you brakes were the single most over quoted item by our competitors. A lot of guys fear comebacks on brakes so they just replace everything. Bad for you and unnecessary.

Another option is to contact your local high school or community college if they have an auto program. You pay for parts, labour is free or almost free, and the students - who generally take these courses because they actually like cars and may want to be mechanics in the future- are supervised by their teacher who must be an ASE licensed tech in most jurisdictions.

For $900 it sounds like they are quoting full pads, rotors, calipers on the front (2 hrs labour total), shoes, spring kits, wheel cylinders and drum turn on the rear (1.5 hrs total), and likely a couple of parking brake cables or flex lines for good luck (another 0.5-1.0). In other words, a midas special!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Just recently replaced the front brakes and rotors on Ean for $226 and did the back brakes, but no rotors a few weeks earlier for around $130. Check around and some places do brake specials. I received my back brakes half off with a lifetime warrangy from Meineke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts