Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look at Explorer forums with no luck. My friend has a 97 Explorer. It has bee been sitting a while and now when we go to put a battery in it the parking light and dash lights flash a few times and then stops, and you can hear a clicking noise coming from behind the dash. it restarts shortly after and does the same thing. It also does this while it is running. Does anybody have any idea on what this maybe?

I was wondering if this might be a relay going bad. Does anyone know where the relays are in this truck?

Also the parking light are turned off when this is happening and it still flashes. and when they are turned on, you can still hear the clicking sound coming from behind the dash like the lights are still flashing.

Any help is great! or point me somewhere.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I owned an Explorer for several years, a 93. Never had an issue that even sounds like this. It was fairly bulletproof though. Sorry, I'm not a help. Just a guess that there is a relay someplace up in the dash that you are hearing. The fuses were located on the dash panel for my F-150, and Ford tends to follow a set protecol for design. Are the fuses behind a panel in the dash? I'd follow the sound and locate the item making it. Could be a $10 part. :shrug:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I just found out yesterday that they don't have the owners manual and the fuse layout is not on the panel. I also found out someone may have put the wrong battery in the truck and the post are on the wrong sides. We have to lean the battery to get the post correct adn the truck still flashes and now won't start.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Get the GEM Module checked out at a dealer. Ford had a problem with them going bad in the 95-98 years.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
SimpleWhite said:
Thank you. I just found out yesterday that they don't have the owners manual
CLICK HERE to go to a website that will let you download the manual in PDF format...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts