Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C compressor has started making a loud clicking sound while it is running. It isn't the clutch (it kicks on and stays on), its something in the compressor itself. It sounds a little bit like a stuck lifter noise.

Does this mean the compressor is going bad? Or low on freon maybe?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The A/C has been very cold up until the last couple days. That could be because it is so hot here (90's).

I added some refrigerant a week ago to put it in the middle of the "safe" zone. Could this be the problem? Does anyone know exactly how much pressure should be on the low side?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I had that problem on a Honda Accord I owned. It was only a year old, and the condenser leaked freon until the compressor made the same sounds you're describing.

Once the condenser was replaced and system was recharged, everything was back to normal.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Could be the clutch is failing internally. It may in fact self distruct and fly off. I'm not trying to alarm you. Some have rivets with heads you can see sticking out the front end. When they start to shear off there is a clicking sound that is made. Usually finishes itself off in a matter of miles, or weeks. Depending on allot of factors. It just happened to me with my 1994 F-150. I had the system rebuilt, and the compressor clutch assembly cost about $500.

Then again, it could be low freon pressure...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.