Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Are there any options on the escape that you wished you would have gotten? Like the sun roof for example.

2. Are there any options that your escape was equipped with that you find are useless or unecessary? Like the cargo package for example.

3. Do you feel this vehicle is truly a capable for off road use? I like to go to silver lake sand dunes and would like to take the vehicle there just not sure if it is capable or not.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I would have liked the sunroof.
But i declined because of pricing.
Fully accessorised my car was $35,000.

Original price was $29,990.
The sunroof ,would have put it over $35,000.

My accessorising is: Heavy duty nudge bar. Pair of 100 watt spotlights.
Embroidered floor mats for front and rear.
Towbar package.
Under body rust proof treatment.
Scotch guard sealant for the duco.
Stainless steel door scuff plates, on all four door jambs.

Driver, plus passenger and rear window tinting.
Wind deflectors for four windows.
Roof rack. Rear cargo bay package.
So it all easily increases the price.
I wanted that " sunroof " to be my final touch.
For me it was not really a necessity. More like a luxury.

My cargo package is functional.
I do not regard it as useless.
My escape seemed reasonably capable for offroad use.
Safe enough on gravel roads.
Have experimented on mud tracks.
But there is a limit in offroading.
My gearbox stressed out. The auto trans oil was cooked.
The mechanic advised me i was very fortunate.
I could have been subjected to, very expensive transaxle and gearbox repairs.

To summarise i feel the escape, is not really a full on offroad vehicle.
For example my mud hooning, resulted in a cooked auto trans.
Because of this have given up ,playing in mud back roads.
I need the car for my job. Work duties have main priority.

For normal sealed tar roads cruising, the escape is a very capable car.
On beach sand dunes it would be safe.
As regards mud tracks i found out there is a limit.
My service tech indicated, that some escape owners of earlier models, were up for transaxle and gearbox repairs.
As it was my escape computer, went into an emergency go home limp mode.
This means the whole car shakes, at anything over 80 kms per hour.

So i drove home at 80kms per hour, to keep car body steady.
The engine warning light stayed on. Also the 4x4 light flashed, indicating there is a very serious problem.
My gearbox oil was cooked. The service tech flushed the gearbox.
He checked for metal shavings, plus for anything unusual.
Then fresh brand new oil was pumped in.

He strongly advised, against future offroading in mud.
The service tech also was surprised, i had no gearbox and transaxle damage.
I am very fortunate, to not have induced repairs.

Sorry if this sounds like a party pooper, but i do not see the escape as a capable offroader.
If anyone wants to go mudding, well then that is your business.
But my opinion is that the escape is restricted.
Be wary that your trans axle and gearbox do not stress out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
GOOD READING.
Thanks for the Advice.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I go back and forth with wishing I had purchased the Limited. Mine is the XLT 2.5L 4WD with Sun/Sync, Metallic Sport Blue with Stone interior. The color and the interior are exactly what I wanted. The vehicle was stock at the dealer as is so I didn't have to order and wait for one. Plus at the time my VW died and I needed a car immediately. I went in on a Tuesday to look and had it the next day.

I do wish that the truck came with a couple of things standard. Heated mirrors. They should be standard on all vehicles. The escape shold have rear discs standard and not drums. But you can't change that so I won't complain.

For packages I don't think you can't get the towing package in the 4 cylinder. I really wanted the rear trunk, roof cross bars and 1/4" receiver for my bike rack. So I ended up purchasing a receiver hitch from hidden hitch and ordered the cross bars. Far cheaper than the towing package. I am debating on getting the wet trunk - depends on the price. I really want the wet trunk for installation of my amp/crossover equipment.

Honestly the Escape is not an offroad vehicle. It is a durable on-road vehicle that is safe, furn to drive and offers a great overall ride. It is not a Hummer or a Jeep.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason for asking these questions is because i plan on ordering a new one soon. I don't want to spend money on things like a cargo package if it doesn't provide a good usefulness. I really do not want the sunroof but my fiance insists that we get it. She won't even be driving the :cuss: thing, she has an explorer. Not really sure how useful "SYNC" is either. Does anyone on here just love their sync and find it totally useful? I'm also afraid that in 5 years SYNC will be obsolete. I really want the sport appearance package because i love the blacked out look on the silver one. i will need to tow a small trailer on occasion so i do not mind spending the money on the tow package. I just wish i could have ordered this back in december because i could have gotten $3500 in rebates on it and right now they only have $1000 on select models :wall:

I find it funny that most people i talk to that have SYNC do not even know all of the functions that the system has such as text to speech navigation. I think it has to be linked to your phone for that option to work not 100% on it though.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I wish I had gotten the in floor storrage at the back of my XLT. Asked for a quote from my dealer recently and they are out of stock in the canadian and US warehouses. When the parts are availlable they retail for $600 canadian (Ouch!)
A sun roof would have been nice but I liked the No Bounds package and you can't have both.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I got the Sun/Sync package on mine only because I wanted the sunroof. To me the sunroof is a make or break option. I love it, I use it and I would HATE not having it. The Sync I didn't care about at the time. But when I got the vehicle I really became turned onto it. The hands-free phone usage, the voice commanded search on my i-pod is really neat. I don't have navigation on my vehicle, jut basic Sync. I really like being able to press a button on my steering wheel and voice command call my wife or call home.

I am also looking into getting the wet trunk plastic floor to house electronics in. But if the price is anything over $250 US, I will BUILD a false floor (like 4thmeal's) and house my stuff and gain a "trunk". I have the ability to do so, just not the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
TopElimn8r said:
Not really sure how useful "SYNC" is either. Does anyone on here just love their sync and find it totally useful? I'm also afraid that in 5 years SYNC will be obsolete. I really want the sport appearance package because i love the blacked out look on the silver one. i will need to tow a small trailer on occasion so i do not mind spending the money on the tow package. I just wish i could have ordered this back in december because i could have gotten $3500 in rebates on it and right now they only have $1000 on select models :wall:

I find it funny that most people i talk to that have SYNC do not even know all of the functions that the system has such as text to speech navigation. I think it has to be linked to your phone for that option to work not 100% on it though.
I bought my Escape last month used from a dealership advertising two 09 Escapes at a price far below other asking prices. One was black with v6 and lower mileage, the other silver with I4 and a little more mileage. I would have preferred the V6 (although I didn't want black). When I went in, the black was already sold. I ended up purchasing the silver without even knowing what options it had. It came with Canadian Winter package (Leather heated seats and mirrors) and the Microsoft Sync. So far I am loving the Sync, although I don't use the music playlist voice commands (requires your mp3 music to be indexed properly). The voice command control of your bluetooth cell phone is awesome. Will this technology be obsolete in five years? Probably, but as far as I'm concerned, the six cd player (still optional on some new vehicles) is already obsolete.

·
Registered
274 Posts
2 things I regret not getting

Sync, my friend has it in his escape and had I realized it was that useful I would have gotten it!

Sunroof, I always loved those... why oh why did I buy a vehicle without one! :shrug:

Pat

·
Registered
679 Posts
sunroof for sure and sync is always good. I enjoyed my sync for a while till i replaced the stereo which has the same stuff plus navigation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts