Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 has a few problems, and i need some help!

1) when making a turn, a pronounced creaking noise comes from deep within the engine bay (tie rod?) (also, some camber is starting to be noticed)

2) upon acceleration, around 1500-1800 rpm a vibration/rattle is also coming from the engine bay, sometimes it does this when i shift into Drive.

What could be the causes of this? How can I fix these issues?

I need your help!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
check your ball joints first to fix the camber problem.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Is it possible that your car has always had negative camber and you just now noticed it? It's weird that both your tires have almost the same degree of negative camber, but it's not impossible for a component on both sides to fail at once. With one tire off the ground, grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and check for any play. If there is play, then take the tire off and wiggle things around to pinpoint the faulty component. It is possible that the same component is making the creak; if not, I would suspect the sway bar links. Check those by grabbing it with a pair of vice grips and twisting them left and right. The joint should feel solid and they should twist smoothly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that sounds rather odd, haha!

Thanks for the Help squish! I'll do those tests today while i sea foam and change the oil.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Sidewinder117 said:
My 2003 has a few problems, and i need some help!

1) when making a turn, a pronounced creaking noise comes from deep within the engine bay (tie rod?) (also, some camber is starting to be noticed)

2) upon acceleration, around 1500-1800 rpm a vibration/rattle is also coming from the engine bay, sometimes it does this when i shift into Drive.

What could be the causes of this? How can I fix these issues?

I need your help!
Mine has suffered from similar problems, the clunking from the frot is from a worn trackrod end, cost £12.00 to replace, and had a metallicy sounding rattle around the same rpm, which was caused by the exhaust heatshield by the o/s rear wheel, as 2 rivets holding it on had sheared, consequently it was rattling against the Mavericks bodyshell, another easy fix

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you can cut off, weld or replace the heat shield, if thats your problem. but its really difficult to diagnose a problem like that on the internet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'll take a further look into it.

thanks to everyone so far.

the case is in progress >:]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After further inspection today:

1) the tie rod is the culprit
2) the heat shield is culprit#2

thanks for all of the help guys.

Now, a final question:

Currently I have 86*** miles on my escape, can i wait until the 90k service to let the dealer fix these issues? or should I get these fixed ASAP?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
the longer you let those crappy parts work, the more it will cost you in tire wear.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
tie rods are not that difficult to replace, just do them both yourself and use a measuring tape. then when you are done, take it in for a FRONT wheel alignment. do not let them tell you or con you or charge you for a 4 wheel alignment.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Yes it's allways better to nip something in the bud. It would be logical , to have the issues fixed soon as possible. If they are neglected for too long, complications could develop. Then the repair bill will be very extravagant.

Sooner better than later. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.