Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I did a search and couldnt find anything on this, but my parents' escape is constantly engaging the ABS every time they hit the brakes no matter how hard or soft they hit them. The car has about 65K on it if that helps, but also It sometimes seems intermittent, like for instance, dad drove it and it didnt do it a single time, then they took it out again and it did it. It acts up more often then not....

Any Ideas before we take it to Ford??

Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Check the ABS tone rings for cracks. They are on the drive shafts just behind the brake rotors/drums (at least on my 02 they are) and look like cogs. Apparently, it's pretty common for the front ones to get eaten by rust and crack.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Check the actual ABS sensor to see if it is seated well. If not then pull it out and see if its banged up on the actual senor bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crawled under it a couple hours ago... turns out the ABS ring is indeed cracked... I ordered one off of Rock Auto to save from buying a 70 dollar axle... Should get it in a few days..

soo weird.. been working on cars a long time, never heard of an ABS ring breaking... weird...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hmm, didn't see this post till now.

I posted up a "How to " article on changing a tone ring, they are quite easy to do, esp if you have a basic tool kit and socket set, and have a methodical approach to the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts