Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it only happens once and a while but when i accelerate i hear this clicking noise, it's only when i accelerate and it's not loud, but it's noticeable above my music and subs. usually happens right after i start my car up and goes away after a minute or two

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I can't help you with your problem, but I just wanted to welcome you to the City, hattrick!! :beer:

There are many knowledgeable members here and I am quite certain that they will be able to assist you. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, thats why i joined :yes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, the more i accelerate the faster it clicks, i haven't looked into it but i was wondering if anyone had heard of this before

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Does that mean it changes with vehicle speed or engine speed?

Clicking could be a CV joint. Do you have the equipment to take the wheels off and check if one of the boots are torn?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
engine speed, it's only when i accelerate, doesn't do it at idle or coasting down the road

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Okay that rules out the CV joints. Would the clicking noise be better described as a "ticking" noise or a deeper, heavier "knocking" noise? It's starting to sound like piston slap. Could be inadequate oil or carbon buildup around the rings. Change the oil and do a Kentucky Tuneup. Get a Motorcraft oil filter to rule out faulty ADBVs on cheaper made aftermarket filters (I'll single out Fram for this).

Kentucky Tuneup, by the way, is when you find an empty stretch of road, slip it into 2nd gear, then do a WOT run from ~10 MPH until the engine is close to redline. Then you allow engine braking take you back down to ~20 MPH. Repeat until no debris comes out of your exhaust. Do this after both the engine and the transmission have warmed up (~15 minutes of driving), and the ticking has gone away.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a "ticking" noise

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
What's the mileage on the engine? Have you owned it from new? If so, how often does it see heavy acceleration?

What brand and grade of oil do you use? Oil filter?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
around 145,000 (previous owner had a lot of highway miles :worry: )

not sure on the oil, it needs to be changed soon though

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Highway miles are the best miles.

You might just need an oil change or an oil filter change. Make sure the shop uses either 5W-20, 0W-30, or 5W-30, in order of preference. Avoid the radioactive orange Fram cans and stick with Champion, Purolator, Wix, or the industrial stuff like Baldwin or Amsoil (might be overkill).

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Have you ever, had the tappets looked at plus adjusted?. Over here certain model cars ,will have more prominent tappet noise than other cars. Can you hear this ticking, specifically originating from the engine?

You mentioned it doesn't do it at idle. I was only guessing about tappets. It is interesting that you don't have this ticking at idle. But you mentioned the tick sound increases, the more you accelerate. Then when you are driving it dissapears. Do you notice an absence of ticking, when the engine has warmed up.?

I was hazarding a guess in context of tappets. My falcons used to have tappet issues. This was only when the engines got old. That tick noise was prominent at idle. The tick increased as i accelerated. Then my tappets ,would decrease in sound volume as the motor warmed up.

I agree with squishy's advice. Can not imagine it doing any harm. That it does not happen at idle confuses me. So it appears i will have to disregard the tappet dilemma. Hope squishy is not offended, but i also are trying to use the process of elimination. Yes, the CV joints should be checked. I had my CV joints replaced in other cars. Obviously changing the oil and doing squishy's experiment is worth a try.

Is coasting, an expression overseas that means cruising? He comments that this noise is absent, when driving down the road. It is not there at idle. Shall eliminate my tappet theory. He is indicating ' ticking' instead of ' tapping'.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Hey, I'm not offended. I don't hold the monopoly here on diagnoses...I'd be wrong too much. :lol:

The CV joints would be vehicle speed dependent, not engine speed dependent. I missed the part where it doesn't do it at idle - how old is your tank of gas? Try a different gas station, or a tank of 89.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you ever figure out the problem? I think it could be an exhaust leak near the front the escape has 3 catalytic converters two on the intake mine had the same problem. i got a new catalytic converter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no i haven't figured it out yet

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
hey stone, there is no adjustment that you can make on our over head cam engine, unless you are doing a rebuild you need to measure and then swap out shims to get your proper lash, but until the engine fails on a massive scale this should never be required.

on a side note, doing the adjustment on a 4.3 with the valve cover off and the engine running makes a mess but sure as heck makes it easier. lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
well i know for sure its not oil or the oil filter. i've changed my oil 3-4 times since the ticking started with different types of oil and diff filters as well and it hasn't had any effect on it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having this issue on my 2011 XLT V6. I have 125,000kms and just got my oil changed. I used Mobil 1 as usual and a Fram oil filter (kinda scared now that I saw the comment above.) upon leaving the garage the escape started making the ticking noise while accelerating between 1,000 and 2,700 rpms. Since it was not making a noise before the oil change, and after reading the post above, I think the filter is faulty. I really don't feel like paying for another 6 quarts of synthetic and another oil change. Can I drive with this filter or would I be doing damage to my escape? Please let me know, and thanks in advance for your help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts