Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off Hi, been a lurker for some time and I have received tons of useful info from here Thanks for that. I have an 2006 XLT V6 4x4 40K on SUV with X-Cal 3 tune

On to My questions:
1. When I press the accelerator pedal to call for a quick burst of speed there is usually quite a delay til the power kicks in, "like its deciding on if it's A## looks fat in this bumper"
sometimes a couple of seconds is this normal ? "The stealer ship says it is"
then if I release the pedal as it is throttling up it sometimes can rev for 3 or more seconds before it will kick down. Also it takes an effort to get the darn thing to "punch it" if I need a Quick boost to change lanes instead of just slowly raping up etc.

2.When I do get it to accelerate quick there is an occasional chirping sound when the transmission hard shifts. Sounds exactly like the sound of a belt slipping to me from inside the SUV.
Hope this is not a precursor to a bigger issue.

Problem #1 has always been an issue to me as I have driven many cars over 20ish years and when I put the pedal down on all of them the power is instant

Thanks for any info you have

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
this transmission well...it wasnt the best choice for ford to use.. I know what you are saying but it almost seems normal. My xls and my dads xlt both do the same thing. You have a xcal so you can improve the shifting though, theres a (trying to think of it) setting to "quicken" the shift points. should help with that lag you are getting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
JET performance Chip

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
My post was directed to the suggestion to add a JET chip when the OP already has the X-Cal.

I think the OP should PM our resident SCT tuner, Torrie, to see if any of these symptoms could be caused by X-Cal parameters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did get the Tuner from Torrie and got 3 custom tunes from him.The Lag when I push the gas pedal to punch it to accelerate has always been there and never changed even when I installed the new tune, so I have to assume that it is "normal" as the stealer-ship suggests. The issue is not so much a transmission issue but I wonder if a delay is programed into the SUV's brain for the fuel injection system. Unlike the old carburetor days of push the pedal and pulls a wire opens the throttle body and BAM acceleration. Funny thing is, this is the first fuel injected vehicle that I have come across that does this.
Anyway thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
well have you had your trans oil drain filled? sometimes it just needs new oil. Also with the xcal unless stated I dont think they change the transmission setting... you should email torrie. Maybe edit your trans setting to stiffen the shifts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts