Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery on my new base model xls. It is a leased fleet vehicle and I had very limited upgrade options as the driver. I was able to purchase the Sync system but not the Sirius upgrade. My new HU has the Sirius button but no antenna or functionality. I have a Starmate unit & subscription from my old car & I don't mind installing the aftermarket magnetic antenna but I would prefer to avoid using the old Starmate when the stock HU claims to be "Sirius Ready". The dealership did not know & sent me to the local stereo shop who was just as clueless. Is there any way to activate the existing Sirius system in my new Escape?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So you have a 2010 then? I hear that the Sirius is installed in the HU itself. Call Sirius and have them walk you through the activation, which involves pressing some buttons in sequence on the HU. This should be the key to knowing if you have or dont have Sirius. But all you would need is anteena if you do have a Sirius installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, that would be great news if it is in fact the case. I'll give it a try & let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently this is not the case. I spent 15mins on the line with Sirius & we couldn't pull a serial number out of the radio. Evidently this radio is not capable in any way shape or form. At least that's what I understand despite the significant language barrier. If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in. I would really prefer to not have to mount up the old starmate if it can be helped.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well I guess your nor equipped. The buttons they asked you to press where to get the siruis to activate. Thus if you pressed those buttons and nothing happened then its not gonna happen. :shrug:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am not sure if the XLS model stereos come with the Sirius tuner or not. It may not even though there is a Sirius button on the face. I know that they don't come with the antenna, so I assume that they have a non-Sirius HU for the XLS model. You can probably pick up a used HU from someone who put in an aftermarket radio. Not sure about programming it though as it may have to be done at the dealer. Plus you would have to run an antanna. You may be out of luck.... :shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If it's not equipped with Sirius from the factory, it would be a major chore and lots of cash to get a factory system. Not only do you need the Sirius module, antenna, and several harnesses, but the audio interface module, display module, display interface module, network module, and the head unit all need to be programmed for it.

You're definitely better off getting a no-splice harness from Crutchfield and installing an aftermarket system. When you're ready to return the car, you can unplug everything and reinstall the factory system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Looks like I'm outta luck on this one. I guess I'll just find a clean way to mount the old Starmate & use the aux-in port. I was just hoping to keep the cockpit a little cleaner. It gets terribly crowded & messy with the phone mount, GPS AND the external Sirius along with power & line-in cables. I'm just going to have to figure out a cool, tidy way to mount/route everything. Given the option, I would have gladly paid the difference to upgrade to XLT & avoid all this hassle...UGH!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts