Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So great-granny likes the keyless remote to unlock the car doors, she now has like an 82 Crown Vic (LTD) [boat] with power locks. Is this an easy DIY add-on, or will it require getting into all the door panels?

Will this do?
KE-30 - Keyless Entry System
http://www.slickcar.com/bypassvag.asp

Or do I tell her to go to a shop for $129?

Yes we tried talking her into upgrading to a newer, atleast mid 90's car, but she won't do it. She just droped like $2k getting this & that done all ready :roll:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think this thread belongs in other fords Category. viewforum.php?f=18
But nevertheless, Lets start with, does she currently have power locks? in '82 I don't think that power locks were standard.

If they are not, then yes you will need crack open each door panel that you want to be on the keyless.

I found two wiring diagrams, they are for a 1976 and 1977, they look strikingly similar. They may or maynot apply to your '82.
Now if you do have working power locks, all you will need to do is tie that keyless box into the master switch. With out knowing the wirepath you can look around under loose panels for the correct wires and probe them. they will show GROUND at rest, and HOT during a button push, then return to Ground. The addon modules ususally come with a test probe that show if a wire is carrying hot or ground.

Both will show ground @ rest. Look around for a relay box under hood and in passenger compartment, if you have Door [un]lock relays, then you can tap the coil (signal) side of those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts