Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I think the package requires already having the parking sensors on your car... which means it would have to be a Limited-trim equipped with said package. It also appears to the naked eye as a car-computer-lesson thing, but something else has to explain the $400 factory option pricing.

Also, if a hitch and wiring runs $400 out of the factory but $700 at a dealership to have the parts to install (wiring), prime and paint (rear bumper) and install, I'd assume that something else is required for APA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea you'd think that if you had the sensors it would be something with the computer and done... Google doesn't have anything about aftermarket parking assists all that comes up is reverse cameras

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Four_Eyes said:
Personally, I'd go with Option 2 : Buy a good quality Bull Bar. "Don't worry, it'll fit!" :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
eventually I plan on getting one just thought having the parking assist would be a cool little thing to do/have

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry.....not my best joke. I meant that if the parking space was to small, the bull bar would protect your vehicle while you push the other cars to make the parking space bigger. Bad joke. :doh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nah was a good joke i would do some of that especially with the neighbor across from my girlfriends house

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Can't hurt to just ask the stealership. I can always ask my guy if needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nah, i have to make a trip there sometime next week, considering my cel is still on and wasn't fixed the first two times i was in, so ill ask then

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Strange, on a 2010 Escape? Wonder what the deal is.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would think that besides the sensors, there would need to be a computer update/upgrade, as well as something new added/replaced in the steering column. The wheel moves it self during park assist, which would make me think that there is some kind of motor that would make it the wheel spin. I'd bet that by the time you add everything up, it would cost more than it's worth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2010 Limited, with the Backup Warning System; while I got every other feature, it did not come with APA. I ordered the 2010 ford shop manuals.

It appears that the two front sensors get wired into the Backup Warning System, so from a hardware perspective, you'd need the 2 front sensors, and the switch that goes next to the USB port of the audio system; I think to put that switch assembly you'd need to replace the lower switch assembly and possibily the facia for that area. If you get that done, I'm willing to bet that there must just a software setting.

I haven't had the chance to see if the sensor wires for the missing 2 front sensors are just pinned back under the bumper of you'd need to run those.

I'd like to see a system in person, but all the escapes I've seen.. none of them have it at the dealer lots.

Anyone have any more technical advice?

- Frank

·
Registered
8 Posts
timothyjay2004 said:
I would think that besides the sensors, there would need to be a computer update/upgrade, as well as something new added/replaced in the steering column. The wheel moves it self during park assist, which would make me think that there is some kind of motor that would make it the wheel spin. I'd bet that by the time you add everything up, it would cost more than it's worth.
Wouldn't the power steering motor be used for this feature?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I saw a backup assistant at the dealership two weeks ago when I was getting my key cut and programmed. They go in the hitch receiver and it had three or four sensors.....

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I wonder how much longer it would take to park my truck using this thing?
Parallel parking, if learned correctly should be a pretty easy task.

The Escape is a pretty maneuverable little truck, it's only a couple of inches longer than the Focus I used to drive.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
rehctelf said:
I wonder how much longer it would take to park my truck using this thing?
Parallel parking, if learned correctly should be a pretty easy task.

The Escape is a pretty maneuverable little truck, it's only a couple of inches longer than the Focus I used to drive.
I agree. :thumb:

16 seconds to parallel park here. I was much faster when I used to work in Toronto...had to quickly find a gap in traffic so I could back up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts