Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added additional horns to an escape? I would like to use the existing wire attached to the horn to activate a 30 amp relay. I plan to use the 30 amp relay. The 30 amp relay will connect a fused wire from the battery to operate the origional horn and a pair of Freeway horns to give me a three note louder horn. Is there any way to access the origional horn wire without removing the front bumper of the car?

[mod]Moved to Electrical Mods.[/mod]

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Man I missed the linked thread, I'm all over this. I can't stand how terrible the stock horn is, it's so bad I turned off the chirp on my aftermarket car alarm. If it's plug n play i'm all for it.

I guess that's what I get for only crawling around EC's "the garage" threads...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Actually, the horn connectors for the 2005-2007 models are completely different from the single horn connector that Ford now uses on the Escape, Edge, and Fusion.

The 2005-2006 E/M/T models used separate low- and high-note horns with single-wire connectors and grounded brackets on each side of the car, low on the driver side, high on the passenger side, under the headlamp assembly.

2007 models used only one low-note horn with a single-wire connector and a grounded bracket, on the driver side, under the headlamp assembly.

Starting with the 2006 Fusion, 2007 Edge, and 2008 Escape, Ford used a 2-wire connector with a more reliable ground wire, and the dual-note horns used on the Edge and Fusion are mounted on one bracket with a single connector.

On a 2007 Escape, look for an empty, single-wire connector with a DARK BLUE wire on the passenger side. If it exists, you can add this high-note horn: http://tinyurl.com/cm9h67

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I watched some you tube video clips ,of train horns and ferry horn demos. Would love something that loud on the escape. In our sleepy little backwater city of adelaide, you could have a field day. Would have people freaking it. :lol:

Watched the " HELLA " super tone clips. Not loud enough for me. This blokes warning device would suit me just nice. :lol: :lol: :hyst: :clap:

HAHAHHAAAAAAAAAA!!! CRACK ME UP. :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: Now that's ,what i regard as a decently loud car horn. I LOVE IT! I was considering upgrading, my sidesteps ( running boards) and the 100 Watt Nitestalker spotlights. That can be a backburner project. Plenty of time and it can wait.

I actually need to have some fun. Shall have a chat with my service tech. Need to find out what he recommends. Do not want anything that sounds like a toy. It has to be the real deal. Would not have the horns on roof rack. Too obvious. Also some thieving scum would rip them off. My mechanic would improvise it in engine bay somehow.

The rear cargo bay is not fully utilised. The air cylinder will fit just nice in cargo area. He knows what i'm like. I am not interested in any povvo pack system. It can be expensive, because of the quality and i want something that performs. If he needs to order it from overseas, this does not bother me. I do not care how long this project takes. Anyway i be not technically minded.

Will leave it to my technician, on how it will be set up. At the moment my escape factory horn sounds like " PEEP TWEET! Oh! excuse me please, but would you mind getting out of the way" :lol: My preference is that the new horn ,can sound like a " Ferry horn or train device". Basically to the effect of ' GET OUT OF THE WAY! and MOVE IT! ".

" Gonna blow my S5T here " That gentlemans warning device is just classic. :lol: :hyst: :clap: :yahoo: :thumb: If anyone has noticed, i have done a re-edit. Recently had a chat with my service tech. I explained my interest in the " Train sound type car horn" As regards the air cylinder, he mentioned that it possibly might fit under one of my bucket seats. EXCELLENT! Also he is quite willing to set up a system, when i have put in an order. Apparently he sees no problem, with fitting it somewhere in escape engine bay. WOO HOOOO! :) :yahoo: :woohoo:

There might be some improvising but nothing too drastic. When? I am in no hurry. Going to do some thorough research on the net. Possibly three to four months. I might have to source it from overseas. Yes, i like the systems you americans and canadians are using. I need it to be insanely LOUD! :lol:

It possibly ,might not sound exactly like a freight train horn ,but i want it to be close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts