Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I tried to search this but it just came up with a lot of info about the xcal. What I'm really wondering is if I add a true CAI will there be any negative effects? By which I mean I have heard stories of mustangs and other fords running rich after adding a CAI, I am interested in getting a xcal but at the moment I am already in possession of the piping and air filter and a heat shield so basically what I'm wondering is that if I go ahead and install this intake will it cause any problems? If anyone has experience with this please let me know, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you already have a true CAI, the best you can do is buy a better air filter.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the responses, I'm not looking for crazy numbers from this, but yes to add a filter and make a small heat shield. Perfect, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The 05+ Mustangs do have engine management that is so precise in it's tolerances, that you can't even put in a panel filter in the stock air box without a tune done to them. Other vehicles like the Focus, can have the intake and throttle body completely swapped out for something new, and you only have to reset the stock computer after installation. I did this more than once with my ZX3 with the intake, TB, exhaust, etc.

The K&N for the Escape didn't affect my engine in a negative way at all, and I'd bet that an intake wouldn't either, much like the Focus.

L8tz

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I find it hard to believe a Mustang would have problems with a custom intake.

The PMC has to have enough variable control to operate in all the conditions a car might find including temperature, altitude and years of wear and tear (dirty air filters etc). There is no way a computer controlled car has such a narrow band that it can't compensate for any intake modification on a normally asperated set up.

Ford has been known to put the IAT sensor in the airbox on some models with if you remove it and don't relocate the IAT then you are sending bad info to the computer and that would effect it's ability to optimize the mix, among other things... not sure if this is the case on the new mustangs though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
u may also look at green filters usa, they seem to be better then k&n and cheaper. I got one custom made for my 09 for 59$ plus 9$ shipping and 12$ for the cleaner and oil.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surfscape said:
I find it hard to believe a Mustang would have problems with a custom intake.

The PMC has to have enough variable control to operate in all the conditions a car might find including temperature, altitude and years of wear and tear (dirty air filters etc). There is no way a computer controlled car has such a narrow band that it can't compensate for any intake modification on a normally asperated set up.

Ford has been known to put the IAT sensor in the airbox on some models with if you remove it and don't relocate the IAT then you are sending bad info to the computer and that would effect it's ability to optimize the mix, among other things... not sure if this is the case on the new mustangs though.
All I know is that I have a friend with a 2005 v6 mustang and when he had ford install his ford racing intake they said they only sell them with tunes to compensate. This could be a huge story they give to make money.. but I've seen it at a few places so thats where my concern came from, but once again thanks!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
my CBR has a 3way computer mapped intake with electronic fuel injection, and honda siad the computer will compensate for a higher flow filter, and exhaust all on its own. maybe thats helping ford stay afloat eh? HAHA

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Maybe it's to get you to buy the tunes so that you don't end up disappointed with the intake and bad-mouth them on the internets. Intakes on their own generally don't give you very much power gains, not until you adjust the programming. What feels like "power" from a K&N drop-in or a short ram intake is really increased throttle response.

Also, wouldn't any problems caused by a CAI be running lean instead of rich? Unless the intake was so restrictive that the injectors can't be pulsed slowly enough to compensate.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol well it most certainly could be a way for ford to get more money, like I said, I'm no expert but I always want to double check before I do something that could be bad haha.

·
Registered
333 Posts
S-197 Mustangs need a tune done when any changes are made to the engine. Even a different filter or intake requires a tune, as the engine will run too lean and throw codes. It is apparently VERY bad for the engines in the newer Mustangs to run lean (has to do with detonation and damage to internal parts). This info was confirmed by mechanics at more than 1 Dealership, as well as Steeda, and Sean Hyland Motorsport. I was also told that the 4.6 makes more hp with 87 Octane on the stock tune than it will with 93 octane (confirmed by more than one dealership).

Not sure if this applies to the Escape engines or not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
for a basic mod like an intake its not really needed to be tuned ;) unless you want to maxize the gains on it....like if you have a stage 1 I/H/E modification its best that you get a piggyback and tune it to maximize the potencial HP/Tq that still be unleashed on your car :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.