Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pissed off at the whole rear drum deal and I was wondering if there would be any way to have discs put back on the 2009. Couldn't you use brakes from a fusion or an 04 Escape. Something like the photo I posted in the Pics section would be nice if it was an option.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
There were rear discs on the Escape later than 2004. My 2005 Limited had them, and I think that they were available until the end of the 2007 model year.

But the proportioning valve is probably different for rear discs.

I'll look up the diagrams tomorrow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Park, you're the man.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
OK, here's the dillio:

2008 Hybrids did have rear disc brakes. So did almost all 2007 models (the older body style). The problem is that the service DVDs don't really show everything exploded the way you'd probably like to see it. Even worse is that the service DVDs don't show the entire part number.

So here are five PDF files from the service DVDs:

* 2007 rear disc brakes: files/2007%20Escape%20rear%20disc%20brakes.pdf

* 2008 rear disc brakes: files/2008%20Escape%20rear%20disc%20brakes.pdf

* 2008 rear drum brakes: files/2008%20Escape%20rear%20drum%20brakes.pdf

* 2008 rear disc brake knuckle: files/2008%20Escape%20rear%20disc%20brake%20knuckle.pdf

* 2008 rear drum brake knuckle: files/2008%20Escape%20rear%20drum%20brake%20knuckle.pdf

Here are some of the parts from the parts.com database:

2008 drum brake parts: http://tinyurl.com/dc2ygm

2008 disc brake parts: http://tinyurl.com/ddxvlk

It looks like you'll need to remove the hub on each side so that you can remove the drum backing plate and install the caliper mount and backing plate.

This looks like a big job, and the brakes may not perform properly unless you also change the proportioning valve. That may not sound like a big deal, but it sure would be if the rear brakes don't apply the proper pressure on a slippery road.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Do we even have a proportioning valve? A lot of vehicles with standard ABS don't use a proportioning valve anymore.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:doh:

Maybe it's a good thing that I didn't mention the distributor cap and rotor.

:bill:

I'll just crawl back under the rock now.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Hahaha

Everyone point your finger at JP and laugh at him!!!

:bill:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:bag:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Haha :D

Well it's possible that we still do have one. ABS doesn't mean you can't have a proportioning valve, it's just somewhat redundant.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
We all have our own proportioning valve, and it's never redundant. It just has alternate routes.

:barf:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing about changing to rear discs. Does anyone know why they eliminated after 07? I know the braking reports seen are pretty bad, figure the discs could help quiet a bit. Keep us posted if you decide to take this on.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Don't drums brake better than discs? Larger contact surface and the self-servo mechanism of drums. It's fade-resistance that is the benefit of discs - drums will heat up and expand, thus increasing pedal travel when the brakes are being used hard.

·
Registered
758 Posts
NoXcape said:
I was just thinking the same thing about changing to rear discs. Does anyone know why they eliminated after 07? I know the braking reports seen are pretty bad, figure the discs could help quiet a bit. Keep us posted if you decide to take this on.
There was quotes from several Ford Engineers/Employees that a change to drum brakes was required because disc brakes would not work with the new Advance Trac (electronic stability) System. That was a bunch of bull because the Ford Explorer had Advance Trac with disc brakes. However, it may have been true for the hybrid version and the regenerative braking features. By moving to rear drum brakes for all, Ford cut their "cost". As for braking performance, a reviews for the 2009 version show significant improvement over the 2008 Escape models but still not as good as the competition.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
a disk is way better then any drum set up. brake fade is not impossible on a disk. but i work on heavy duty equipment and setting up the drums and shes is a very precise procedure. if we could have 6wheel disk, my job would be so much easier.

brake fade happens when the brakes heat up and the drum expands away from the shoes. when i disk heats up, it expands and presses harder onto the pads.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Brake fade on a disc system happens when the temperature reaches a point where the pad material starts to lose the ability to build up friction. It can also happen when the brake fluid boils.

I disagree that a disc is superior to a drum system. It depends on the application - a performance car is concerned about weight and fade resistance, so a disc system is the better choice. But for a passenger vehicle, the drum system is more robust - it is fully sealed, shoes last longer, drums last longer than rotors, and less hydraulic pressure is required for the same braking force. The thing I hate most about rear discs is how often you have to change the pads - sometimes twice as often as the fronts up here in the corrosion belt.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i highly doubt that the escape would be capable of putting enough stress on the brakes to cause them to heat to the extent of fading a disk setup. even transports are getting modernized with disk.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I doubt it would, either. The fronts would boil before the rears do. But for the wear associated with a rear disc setup, I prefer my drums. :beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
There really isn't a benefit to rear disc over drum since the majority of braking is done by the front brakes. I upgraded my 85 ASC convertible to rear disc and didn't make much difference. The real change was made when I installed the larger calipers on the front. Basicly, I have now have brakes designed to stop a Town Car on a car the size of a Mustang. It will put your eyes into the back of your skull during a panic stop. This was complete upgrade including the correct proportioning valve and master cylinder. Unless you are doing it just for looks or you happen to have a wrecked 08 to scavenge parts from, I'd spend the my money elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm good with the drum brakes on my 08 Tribute. If they perform anywhere near what the drums on my F-150 do that is.

The F-150 drums have been on it since new. I have had them serviced/cleaned and checked. But the rear drums are as old as the truck, having been built in 94 and traveled nearly 170K miles. I'm happy with the drums. :thumb:

As for the front disks, they have been replaced twice or three times. And the rotors were replaced the last time having been turned in the prior maintenance proceedures. So keeping the Tribute rear brakes in drums is a no brainer to me. :thumb: :thumb:

As for the competition. The guy around the corner from me buys Hondas, because they are the superior car. HA! He always gets his wife a CR-V. Just got the third one. You maybe like me wonder why and might ask why he has gone through so many, if they are so reliable. :shrug: It seems the rear suspension bushings "fail" after so many miles. The cost of the repair proceedure is over $2K. So he trades them off when they get to that point. I think he's working on some false economies and failed promises by the manufacturer. :(

I know the E/M/T triplets have some mild front bushing problems, :worry: but apparently so do the CR-Vs rear suspensions... And more to the point of this discussion, it makes me wonder about the brakes on that thing. :bang: :( He has to replace them every 30-35K miles. :rant:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts