Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious, has anyone done this? I have an 05 XLS with the circle foglight openings, and was wondering:

Do you have to take the front bumper cover off to get back there??? The bumper curves under and looks like there is just no way to work?

I'm looking at hopefully buying some fogs that come stock on the XLT's and just wiring them directly to my parking light wires.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You may be able to work on it through the wheel well, otherwise the bumper will have to be removed. The stock fog lights are mounted to a plastic bracket (purchased separately) and have the stock wiring present, even on XLS models. You can buy the stock switch and have the dealership flash the computer to enable fog lights.

Wiring them to the parking lights is a bad idea. Aside from being illegal in several states, fog lights aren't supposed to be used on clear nights. They overilluminate your foreground, reducing your forward night vision, and they can blind oncoming drivers with the flat, wide beam, especially on vehicles like ours with no aiming mechanism.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Exactly. And I had good luck getting to the fog lamps and parking lamps by removing only the front side of the splash shields on my '05.

For an '05 to '07 Escape, there's no fog lamp bracket. It's part of the fog lamp assembly.

BUT, although the '05 through '07 fog lamps look the same from the outside, they're very different inside.

The '05 and most '06 models use a 9145/H10 fog lamp bulb. Some late '06 and all '07 models use a newer bulb---Sylvania and Philips have different numbers for it, but 5202, H16, 9009, and PS24WFF all identify the same bulb. The older H10 and newer H16 use different connectors, and since you have an '05 (you should already have the wiring and connectors), you need to make sure that you use an '05 fog lamp assembly.

The '05 fog lamp assembly part number is 2M5Z-15200-AB. You should also have a blank fog lamp switch cover on the lower left side of the instrument panel. When you remove it, the connector will be attached to it already. Just unplug the connector from the blank cover and replace the cover with the factory fog lamp switch. The '05 fog lamp switch part number is 5L8Z-15A214-CAA. Also, make sure that you use the '05 fog lamp switch, since it's also different from the fog lamp switch used on the '01-'04 Escape.

You might need to have the dealer flash the SJB, but it may also already work. Do not wire the fog lamps to the parking light circuit, since that circuit isn't designed to handle the extra current. The good news is that on '05 and newer models, the fog lamps light with the parking and head lamps, but not with the high beams.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I was trying to think of a nice way to say that so that I'm not your first arrest.

:shock:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the very detailed answers, the part numbers are very helpful. That is awesome that the wiring is already located in there, I'll have to find those stock housings and get that switch and hopefully it will work without a problem.

If I have to have Ford reflash the computer to get the fogs to work, would that be something expensive to have done?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and jpark, one more question... I did a quick google search for that foglight part number and came up with this:

http://www.go-part.com/0205-ford-focus- ... ?year=2002

I guess that is the same fog used in the Focus? 40.00 isnt too shabby for the whole housing :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2001 Escape XLS and want to install the forlights. I found the fog switch at Ebay for $10. I had to replace the Headlight lens and saw the wiring for the lights. I wondered if you know anyone with the first model (2001) who installed after market ones. Thanks for any help regarding installing them :p

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
synister281 said:
Oh, and jpark, one more question... I did a quick google search for that foglight part number and came up with this:

I guess that is the same fog used in the Focus? 40.00 isnt too shabby for the whole housing :thumb:
I don't know which Ford used this foglamp first, but it wasn't the 2005 Escape, and it doesn't look like it was the 2002 Focus, either. I know that I had the same fog lamps on my 2002 Explorer, but the part number isn't an Explorer part number.

You can tell which car used the part originally by the second and third characters in the part number.

Example: 1L2Z-7842528-GA is the 2001-2007 Escape "XLT" emblem. The "1" represents the model year of the part's first application (2001, sometimes the year is one year early), and the "L2" represents the model (in this case, it was the Explorer). The "Z" identifies the part as an actual part number, which is different from the number that's usually stamped on the part (which is called the "engineering number"). If you try to enter the "engineering number" on a part number search, it won't work. I don't know why Ford uses this system, since it's confusing for anyone looking for a part.

Anyway, here are the Ford part/model codes that I know, since I haven't really used Ford parts from other models:

L2 - Explorer
L8 - Escape
M6 - Mariner
U2 - Mountaineer
T4 - Edge
A1 - MKX
A8 - MKZ
E5 - Fusion

I don't know which Ford uses the "M5" code, though. You should look inside the bumper cover to make sure that you have four mounting holes around the fog lamp opening.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Squishy said:
jpark said:
I was trying to think of a nice way to say that so that I'm not your first arrest.

:shock:
What little authoritah I have exists only in the City of Orillia. ;-|
...and here at E-C.

·
Registered
142 Posts
jpark said:
synister281 said:

I don't know which Ford used this foglamp first, but it wasn't the 2005 Escape, and it doesn't look like it was the 2002 Focus, either.
It may be from the '02-'04 SVT Focus. That model used round foglights that were different than the mainstream Focus models.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Good point. I forgot about the SVT Focus...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dolfan0118 said:
I have a 2001 Escape XLS and want to install the forlights. I found the fog switch at Ebay for $10. I had to replace the Headlight lens and saw the wiring for the lights. I wondered if you know anyone with the first model (2001) who installed after market ones. Thanks for any help regarding installing them :p
I put aftermarket (Oem design) fogs in my wifes' 01 XLS. Very easy to do. if you're installing an oem ford design set just removed your bumper and trim out the fog light blanks with a good utility knife & mount your fog lights. The factory harness is there to just plug & play. Heck, ours even had the fuse already in the fuse box! Just reinstall your bumper cover & then plug in your switch & bingo! -You're ready to go!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Install a stone guard or be ready to replace them often. Lost 2 already. Found a company that makes plastic covers for 4" driving lights. Will post the site when I find it - think it's on my machine at home.
While you are in there add a real set of horns. Mine used to sound like a sick goose.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I actually have purchased head lights or blinkers from certifit on my old taurus. They are okay. You can tell they are not oem, they use cheap plastic but they never leaked on me. I'd probably only consider them if they were 1/2 the price on something expensive..but I probably wouldnt buy them again since you can usually find oem stuff cheap used or on ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
OEM Escape stuff can now be found at most junkyards. The 2008+ models are still a rare find, but I normally see a few of the older style Escapes at every junkyard I go to.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts