Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Advice for idled 2008 Hybrid - Newcomber

Tags
pa107 pcm tcm
1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Mountain Escape 
#1 ·
Greetings!
Seek expert advice on what to do. My 2008 Hybrid has been at the local dealer since mid-January 2022, following a bout with CV19 symptoms leaving me to leave the car idle for 30 days -afterward, no start, dash illuminated, with security locked flashing.

Every week since the tow, a weekly find or non-responsive with no solution. Initially, the dealer noted non-communicative PCM, P1A10, P1A07, P0685, & P1288. Replaced PCM with aftermarket, thinking this was the cure and a full recharge of the battery. This week dealer messaging TCM, PA107 & P1A10, needs replacement and unable to order TCM separately from the transmission, so an entire aftermarket replacement transmission is needed. Is this true? I called local shops they stated it's the battery and the dealer is incompetent or just junk the car for a new vehicle. I'm baffled; I love my 2008, wanting to keep it. Any sage expert advice is much appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
I only use a hybrid specific shop for my 2009, they are the only ones that have a clue with what is going on.
they also usually have donor parts around the shop, eliminating the need for a salvage yard. what will be quoted for you through the dealership, for a high voltage battery replacement, can usually be repaired for less than $500.

when my 12 V battery went bad, the car would start, then shut off… It sent all kinds of mystery codes that were cured by the replacement of the 12 V battery

when my rear main seal failed, it sent me all kinds of crazy codes, including transmission codes, that was all remedied by the replacement of the rear main seal, and recharging of both low-voltage/high-voltage batteries.

if I were you, I would search for 'a hybrid repair shop near me'. The dealership told me my car was not worth repairing, I had it repaired for under $2000, I can currently sell it for around seven.

A battery can be bench tested for load at your local parts store. modern 12v batteries only seem to be good for about five years.
I would also suggest looking closely at your battery, as there is often a sticker which will tell you the date of manufacture/install
(if the installers lifted out the appropriate sticker spots)

#3 ·
Thank you, Mountain Escape, for your reply – although parts of it (main seal?) need research! I am a novice regarding cars, yet this experience has caused me to be a quick study. The 12v is relatively new, but I will check. The Hybrid battery a few quoted $1800 - $3k. The dealer quoted $1500 for a rehab transmission. Yes, I checked Hybrid shops, and they noted the remarks mentioned. Unfortunately, I will have to get the car towed from the dealer for a 16 mi hike, which may prove to be worth it - Thanks again!

#6 ·
not to be a dad, but I would recommend signing up with AAA, you get three tows per year, up to 100 miles in distance for each

#7 ·
Good morning. I reviewed the codes you posted. I can post the diagnostic steps to trouble shoot the problems, but I don't think it would help much if you don't have the proper tool/equipment.

May I recommend doing a Google search for a "hybrid" repair shop in your area. Someone who also repairs batteries if necessary. If you find someone, check their Yelp ratings. It does help.

I'm a paying member of www.Iatn.net and wwwDiag.net and maybe I can recommend a shop for you. The folks on these forums are true professionals. If you can post a City, State and Zip, I'll check to see if there is a member in your area.

Good luck, Dwight.

#8 ·
Good morning. I reviewed the codes you posted. I can post the diagnostic steps to trouble shoot the problems, but I don't think it would help much if you don't have the proper tool/equipment.

May I recommend doing a Google search for a "hybrid" repair shop in your area. Someone who also repairs batteries if necessary. If you find someone, check their Yelp ratings. It does help.

I'm a paying member of www.Iatn.net and wwwDiag.net and maybe I can recommend a shop for you. The folks on these forums are true professionals. If you can post a City, State and Zip, I'll check to see if there is a member in your area.

Good luck, Dwight.
Thanks, Dwight, for the info - my zip code is 20746.

#11 ·
Greetings and with much Thanks!

After almost four months at the dealer since January, after I've purchased PCM, & TCM transmission, they now indicate this morning the car needs a new power steering trane $$$$ or come pick it up. After a little research is this not covered under the 2008 power steering recall? Any great advice is appreciated.

If not I will give iATn a call.

I need the assistance of the Ford Service rep to contact me for a dealer complaint.

#12 · (Edited)
Greetings and with much Thanks!

After almost four months at the dealer since January, after I've purchased PCM, & TCM transmission, they now indicate this morning the car needs a new power steering trane $$$$ or come pick it up. After a little research is this not covered under the 2008 power steering recall? Any great advice is appreciated.

If not I will give iATn a call.

I need the assistance of the Ford Service rep to contact me for a dealer complaint.
I would go through the corporate Ford website for contact.
If they replaced parts that did not fix your problem, you should not be responsible for that. (Demand to see a print out of the DTCs that told them which parts to replace)

I would contact the BBB in your area. They can often get the gears to turn.

Go back to the dealership with this printed out(or just on your phone),
and tell them thank you for finally telling me what is wrong, And replacing parts that weren't broken...you need to fix it now.
Strongly recommend talking to the service department manager only, or the owner of the dealership. Use the device currently in your hand and record the interaction.

I would not hesitate to call your local TV news stations, and let them know you were not being treated fairly… because you are a woman?
Sometimes the public eye has a way of making people honor their obligations.

By all means get on reviewing websites and let everybody else know your experience with these dealerships

(I was under the impression you were towing your vehicle out of there, to a recommended/reputable shop. I am really surprised you cannot find a Hybrid dedicated shop near you)

Again, purchasing a AAA membership is cheaper than a tow, and you get a total of three tows per year…

#13 ·
Greetings Mtn Escape

Yes, thank you so much for the info. Yes, towing the car was in the cards but finding a reputable repair shop was challenging. I contacted two advertised hybrid repair shops sharing the DT codes. Each indicated they would need the dealer to add the reprogramming codes for the personally ordered OEM parts because the factory parts per the dealer are no longer available. I did not want any additional issues and the blame game if it could not be fixed. This has all left me fit to be tied and with many regrets. The dealer now states the replacement power steering rack is an additional $1800-unacceptable.

So, if it was the power steering rack needing replacement all along and a recall issue, this is very troubling for the dealer and not me. Yes, I will be contacting management, the owner, corporate, news media, and conclude with social media regarding reimbursement and the outcome of all this. At the same time, I will reach out and tow the car to the recommended shop in the post. Again, thanks to everyone who offered assistance on this thread; much appreciated.

#14 ·
Greetings Mtn Escape

Yes, thank you so much for the info. Yes, towing the car was in the cards but finding a reputable repair shop was challenging. I contacted two advertised hybrid repair shops sharing the DT codes. Each indicated they would need the dealer to add the reprogramming codes for the personally ordered OEM parts because the factory parts per the dealer are no longer available. I did not want any additional issues and the blame game if it could not be fixed. This has all left me fit to be tied and with many regrets. The dealer now states the replacement power steering rack is an additional $1800-unacceptable.

So, if it was the power steering rack needing replacement all along and a recall issue, this is very troubling for the dealer and not me. Yes, I will be contacting management, the owner, corporate, news media, and conclude with social media regarding reimbursement and the outcome of all this. At the same time, I will reach out and tow the car to the recommended shop in the post. Again, thanks to everyone who offered assistance on this thread; much appreciated.
I don't believe the rack and pinion was covered by the recall. If you read the notice, it lists three specific issues/fixes.

contact the shop you are thinking about, and ask them if they will source, and install a used rack and pinion, and what they would charge you. The dealership will only install a new one, they will not deal with salvage/used parts.
You might be a little confused, OEM parts are factory parts.

that they were being straight up with you, telling you that they would need dealership reprogramming codes seems to be a good sign… That is definitely not the end of the world

Final question for you, even though it is expensive to repair, how much would it cost you to buy a new car… Right now I don't think you could buy your car for $2000. (I keep up on the values of my car, I could not currently buy one used for under six grand)

If nothing else...
After you see what they are selling for, repair yours, then get your money back out of it by selling it. Don't be down, it will work out one way or the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.