Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Air cabin filter and battery filter

12K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ScubaBrett22 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 ford escape hybrid. What is the best cabin filter and battery filter I can get? I bought it used and the stuff looked pretty new. I have now put aroun 15000 miles on it. When should I think about changing these?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Where are these three things located?

Replace cabin air filter (I think this is under the rug in the back by the battery, under the black plastic piece with about 5 bolts)

Replace engine air filter

Replace high voltage battery A/C filter (Know where this is in the back)

#3 ·
List of Cabin Air Filter part can be found by CLICKING HERE

The '05 should use the same filter as the 01-04 ant it is located in the same place. You can find instructions by CLICKING HERE

BTW - you don't need to remove the wiper arms. You can just get them out of the way by activating them & shutting the car off before the drop back into the parked position.

#4 ·
RobtRoma said:

The '05 should use the same filter as the 01-04 ant it is located in the same place. You can find instructions by CLICKING HERE

BTW - you don't need to remove the wiper arms. You can just get them out of the way by activating them & shutting the car off before the drop back into the parked position.
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone think this stuff may have been changed when I bought the vehicle since I bought it used?

#5 ·
davids2005 said:
Where are these three things located?

Replace cabin air filter (I think this is under the rug in the back by the battery, under the black plastic piece with about 5 bolts)

Replace engine air filter

Replace high voltage battery A/C filter (Know where this is in the back)
So maybe I was confused.

The high voltage battery A/C filter is in the back. I guess the cabin air filter is under the hood? So where is the engine air filter located?

Thanks.

#6 ·
Cabin air filter is under hood. I guess fropm reading 05-07 you have to have the wipers out of the way, in 08+ you just pop some plastic screw/plugs near the pass windsheild, lift the cover, lift the cabin filter cover, replace filter, reverse.
Batt filter should be in the same place 05+. Rear caro comp, look un the drivers window for a small access panel, remove, removed filter cover, slide out filter & replace, reverse.

Here's a full thread full of part#s, access locations, prices, etc.
I was able to snag a K&N for the batt filter at a good price, like $25 I think, since a paper was like 15 it's all ready had it's 'payback' in the 2nd year!

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/air-oil-filter-thread-15380/

#7 ·
I know this is not good message board etiquette but... I found this post for replacing the cabin air filter in an 05 on a different site. Since we are not able to link to this site, I grabbed the whole post :angel: :

Originally posted by TeXcape05
I searched and found information for "How To" change you're A/C filter however I found the information to be spread out and pictures were non-existent. The search function was not helpful because a/c was too short of a phrase for the search function to accept it.

So here goes, I have taken a lot of information from the E-C but this is my first write up including pictures. Forgive the 2 megapixel pictures, I just used my cell phone so I could send the pictures straight to my computer. Any questions or comments just let me know. Hope this helps

My Test Subject: 2005 Escape 3.0 V6

The Filter I used. Notice the part number is in the bottom left hand corner.

Tools and Materials Necessary: Philips head screw driver and A/C filter of choice (Fram shown)

Step 1
Open Hood, identify left side cowl and unscrew plastic screws on the forward most side of the cowl. I don't know how Ford treats these screws but I unscrew the plastic screw head with one hand and pinch the fastener beneath it with the other. Sounds complicated unless you are looking at it.

View of Cowl before being removed.

Plastic Screws that I pinched the bottom of.

Step 2 The back side of the cowl has four screws with plastic covers that are flush with the cowl surface. Use a very thin object such as the tip of a knife or a very small standard screw driver pry off the screw cover and then unscrew the metal screw revealed beneath. You may now remove the cowl. Under the cowl is a plastic cover that further protects the filter from outside debris. You have already unscrewed it because it shares screws with the cowl, so just pull it out lightly.
HINT: With wipers in down position you will have trouble reaching a screw so turn the key to accessory and then turn on the wipers and take out key with wipers pointed straight up.

Where you pop off screw covers and unscrew screws with Philips head.

Cowl removal

Filter cover just below cowl

Step 3 My Escape had a place for the filter but did not come with one, so there was all kinds of small debris in the filter tray. I used a vacuum and sucked up all the leaf particles in and around the tray. You may now remove your old filter, if you have one, and put in the new filter in the filter tray. Congratulations your filter is changed all that is left to do is to put back on the filter cover and cowl.

This is what my filter looked like after install and before I put back on cover and cowl.

Good Luck!

#8 ·
davids2005 said:
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone think this stuff may have been changed when I bought the vehicle since I bought it used?
You are welcome... and I doubt it. The only way to know for sure is to take a look at them. The cabin filter is really easy to change. If I can do it, anyone can...

#9 ·
Where is the high voltage battery A/C filter located? Never heard of it before.
I recently took out a whole gallon of leaves, pine needles, tiny twigs, grass stems and bug carcasses out of where the cabin filter should have been on my 'scape..its previous owners i guess didnt think it needed one. It completely solved my problem of all that coming in thru the ducts.

#10 ·
RobtRoma said:

Thanks for this very helpful post because my cousin is planning to change his acc cabin filter but we're both quite newbies and don't know how to do it and where it is located. Lucky to end up on this post with instructions. Really saves us some money from the mechanic. Thanks again for sharing this.

#13 ·
I am the guy who brings life to old threads lol!

Anyways question about the Air cabin filter, How often should you replace it? and is it located in the same location as show above for the 2008 3.0L V6 Escape? I think i might change it cause my A/C smells like mold and other stuff and its nasty some days... i think it might just be the filter.

#14 ·
2 seperate answers: 1) Depends on where you live 2) about 6 months

#15 ·
oskerb said:
2 seperate answers: 1) Depends on where you live 2) about 6 months
Boca...Florida (Might have some old people in it.. lol I KID!!! No really Boca sucks...) and i am probably due for a replacement... I know i will probably be going in this Mon or Wed for a Oil change and I have a nice list for them to look at .... so i might make them do it since it will be for free.

#16 ·
Oh, the reason I say, location of your Escape, cause if you live in a humid area your more prone to mold as you say, you aer smelling. If you live in the desert area you more prone to sand clogging up you filter.

#18 ·
I try to change mine every spring (I forgot last year). When I do the change and before I put the new filter in, I will put the fan on full blast and spray some Lysol into the cabin air intake to kill the mold that can form in there. I used to get a moldy stink every spring. I haven't had that problem in a while... :thumb:

#19 ·
:clap: :lol:
ScubaBrett22 said:
oskerb said:
Oh, the reason I say, location of your Escape, cause if you live in a humid area your more prone to mold as you say, you aer smelling. If you live in the desert area you more prone to sand clogging up you filter.
I know I know, I just had to crack that joke because Boca Raton has more old people then you can imagine.

#20 ·
oskerb said:
:clap: :lol:
ScubaBrett22 said:
oskerb said:
I know I know, I just had to crack that joke because Boca Raton has more old people then you can imagine.
LoL it is located in the same place right?? How cheap are they to replace?? and do you know the part number for my 08? Can't seem to find it in the manual.

#21 ·
ScubaBrett22 said:
oskerb said:
[/quote]

LoL it is located in the same place right?? How cheap are they to replace?? and do you know the part number for my 08? Can't seem to find it in the manual.[/quote]

Never mind i went trolling on the world wide internet and found this, hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.