Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold Air intake for 2008 mariner anyone??? Does anyone have any idea where I can locate one that will make a difference for my auto?
I can't find one anywhere and why is it that no companies make any parts for 2008 mariner mods?
Eric

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Hay dude,

Our EMTs have always been ignored a bit by the after market, but there are things your can do with a little creativity :thumb:

You might want to read my post on Cold Air intakes, it may help in explaining how I built a suitable CAI. All the after market ones out there are NOT CAIs.

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=268

Finally if it is performance and even fuel savings (if you can keep you foot out of it) you might see if they have the XCal ready for the newer escapes yet. This is the best bang anyone here has found to get the best performance for the $$$$

http://www.escape-city.com/viewforum.php?f=37

Torrie at fastparts is the man to ask...

Good luck :)P

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
For the most part I visit performance car sites. I have heard of several people claiming to get better performance from a different intake pipe. I can not believe this is happening. They may look better than the somewhat ugly black plastic that is stuck under our hoods. But I doubt they providing better performance. The PCM monitors all that is ingested and regulates the flow of everything based on it's mapped program. Hence, all the improvement you make to the passage of the air is negated by that program. I have read interesting trials and they all point to one thing. If your selling it, it will make your car better. If your paying for it, you might see an improvement. But most people don't put their cars on dynos before and after to see the improvement. If they did, they would see what some of my other forums members have. Some of these items actually inhibit the engines output as demonstrated by the after install dyno numbers. :doh: :wall:

Intake filters do help in some cases. Depends on how you drive apparently. When I bought my Bullitt used, it had a K & N filter already, and the snorkle that fits the intake to the fender well for cooler air from outside the engine compartment, removed. I was getting about 24 mpg hwy with that arrangement. With the snorkle installed, it did better by maybe a half mpg. Not much, but better. And then I did the obvious, not! I reinstalled the stock airfilter. Guess what! If I drove the car like I owned it, I do that normally anyhow, it is how I drive. It got 25.5 mpg. If I drove it like I stole it, the mpg drops down to 20 mpg hwy...

Bottom line is that the manner in which I normally drive the car, it is actually better to have the stock air filter and snorkle in place.

I don't claim this to be scientific, but it does mirror what was posted by others when they dynoed their cars for performance improvement results. And me relating to you what others have posted is heresay. Though what I have posted to you about this is not heresay, it is the observed result. It is a Bullitt, and you are talking about Escapes with the V-6, or maybe your wanting to pump more air with your 2.3L. IDK, Apples to apples. I just wanted you to know what I do about these "performance mods".

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I agree with that. On a stock setup I doubt you will see any performance gains or MPG. The stock system is designed as a CAI and suitable for the engine as it is configured. The most you would gain is more noise at WOT. Whcih some people like...

Now a shorty intake can improve throttle response (the time it takes the engine spool up) which can be mistaken for HP. It is nice to have tha improvement but but not at the loss of HP due to the hot air charge coming from under the hood.

On my system the throttle response is better due to the large diameter ducting. It is also necessary for my supercharger as the stock system does not flow well enough with these mods, so I'm in a little different boat.

Like I said the best performance mod for the bucks is the XCal tuner and it has proven to be quite reliable over the years in the escape. It reall does so uch to wake up the V6 (if that is what you have...)

Lastly the PMC controls the ratio of fuel to air so technically if you can get more (and cooler/denser) air into the intake then more fuel would be added by the PMC thus providing for more HP th elimitations there are then the fuel injectors/system to offer enough added fuel or the adjustable range of the stock PMC. Nothing you would bolt on like an intake would be outside of the stock PMCs ability to adjust for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts