Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2001 Escape XLT - V6, front wheel drive back from the shop after getting the side casing of my transmission replaced. When getting ready to leave the transmission shop, I notice my airbag light was blinking then stayed on. I went back at talked to the guy that worked on my car and he said it was on when he took it for a test drive after working on it (it wasn't on when I brought it in). He hooked the scanner to the car and the code "B 1994 DRIVERS SIDE MNG ABG OPEN CIRCUIT" came up. He said that he connected everything back up when he was done, although he said the areas he was working around were no where near any airbag sensors or wires.

I would like to get this problem solved ASAP dues to the fact that if I would get in an accident, the airbags wouldn't deploy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Like yourself I cannot be certain as to the manner the guys worked in your car's transmission.
Nevertheless I would:
1/Disconnect the battery
2/Disconnect and connect back again the plugs under the driver's seat as weel as the ABS module itself.
3/Check the fuse in the battery junction box.
4/Reconnect the battery and have the code deleted.
Please keep us posted with your progress.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give that a try this afternoon, the only problem is that I don't have an as advanced scanner as a dealership or major mechanic shop, but my cousin is a mechanic and I will borrow his (when he doesn't need it) and keep you updated. It might be as late as the 8th of November.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I believe I did get that checked when I first bought my Escape...That was a while ago though, Ill check my record and see. :shrug:

I was fumbling with the cables under the seat and managed to get it to go off..hopefully it will stay off

Will still look into it more

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
The under seat connector gave me a problem too 4 or 5 years ago. The dealer wanted to change part of the seat-belt system for $700 or $800. I had a small, modular 10 lb weight set under the passenger seat that would slide into the connectors causing the light to come on. I removed the weights and pushed the connector back together and the light hasn't returned since...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts