Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the alignment specs, namely, the toe in/out spec, for a 2002 Escape/Tribute V6 AWD? I need to replace a tie rod end and want to double check the toe before and after. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My 2005 Hybrid came straight out of the factory with a toe-in design. I had this changed. I hope your vehicle is in the neutral position.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing as how I do not have an alignment machine, I needed to convert toe-in degrees to inches. First off, one of the things I have realized is that alignment is not rocket science, and with a toe-in spec of 0.23 +/- 0.32 degrees, it does not have to be incredibly precise to be in spec. Second off, this post only has to do with toe, not camber & caster, as I merely replaced one tie rod end.

1. Make a mark on the center of each front tire with a pen, 6" off the floor at the front and 6" off the floor at the back of each front tire - just low enough to clear the underside of the car with a tape measure. Measure the distance across each tire from mark to mark, front to back. This will be "L". For me, L = 27" exactly. You will only use the front mark. Erase the mark on the back of each front tire.

2. Unlock your steering wheel and give it a shake side to side and then center the wheel. Now measure the distance between the front marks on the front tires. Have someone hold a tape measure at 10" on one mark, and get a reading on the other mark. I got 71-3/32" on the front, including the 10". Measuring to the nearest 1/32" will be more than good enough.

3. Roll the car back until your front marks are exactly 6" off the floor on the backside of the tires. Give your steering wheel another shake, and measure the distance between the marks, now on the back side of the tires. I got 71-1/16" on the back, giving me a toe-out of 1/32". Toe will "T". So T = 0.03125"

4. Now the math to get your degrees. L X 3.1416 = C. For me C = 84.8232". Degrees toe = 360 / C X T. In my case, 360 / 84.8232 X 0.03125 = 0.13 degrees tow out. Since spec is 0.55 degrees (1/8") toe-in to 0.09 degrees (1/64") toe-out, mine was out before changing the tie rod end. As you can see, the spec is quite a large range when converted to inches. Measuring to the nearest 1/32" is PLENTY good enough.

In the end, I got mine to 1/32" toe-in, which is 0.13 degrees, WELL within spec. A freeway test drive to make sure everything is good revealed that it is. Saved myself $75.

If my tires scrub off, I will let you know. Ha ha!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.