Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an alpine CDA-117, alpine power pack, Infiniti component speakers all around, and a 10" type-r in a ported box in the rear powered by an mrp-m500. The system itself sounds much better than the mach audio I had, but I'm still trying to fight the EQ on the head unit. I'll post pics of it once I finish mounting the amp where the stock sub was.

Does anyone have good advice for tuning the EQ? I listen to rock, rap, and electronic, and have the two stock tweeters still hooked up as well. I'm not changing out the tweeters, but I have to keep it faded -5 to the rear, otherwise there's just way too much treble.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Its the speakers, bro, not the HU. Infinity has a habit of producing mind-melting treble which just isn't natural. You installed component speakers, where are your front tweeters? And, have you adjusted the settings on the crossover boxes?

Also, do you realize you just said, "I have the stock tweeters too". Why?! All that does is create dis-coherent sound due to the myriad of output points in the car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I'll clarify.

If I put something over the stock tweeters to muffle the sound (I had the Mach audio system, they have the door-mounted tweeters), then it sounds fine. I'm looking for a way to reduce some of the treble via head unit adjustments if possible, otherwise I'm going to remove the original tweeters.

I guess what I'm saying is, do you know of a good resource somewhere online to learn more about programming the graphic or parametric EQ on the HU?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
GrandmasCar said:
Sorry, I'll clarify.

If I put something over the stock tweeters to muffle the sound (I had the Mach audio system, they have the door-mounted tweeters), then it sounds fine. I'm looking for a way to reduce some of the treble via head unit adjustments if possible, otherwise I'm going to remove the original tweeters.

I guess what I'm saying is, do you know of a good resource somewhere online to learn more about programming the graphic or parametric EQ on the HU?
But in essence you have answered the question automatically. The stock tweeters and aftermarket tweeters should not be used together. They are combining their wave outputs in interference patterns, partially constructive, partially destructive. This is not good! There is a reason good home theater speakers use only one tweeter, and you should definitely consider removing power to the stock tweeters.

There are several acoustic issues right now, ones that you must address if you want a proper sound profile.

Issue 1: The Infinity woofer is probably playing a frequency range from ~60hz up to 3kHz, and through the crossover box included in the Infinity speakers, those connected tweeters are likely playing from 3kHz up to 20kHz. Now, the stock tweeters are probably playing somewhere around 3.5-4khz to 17kHz. So the issue here is that you have reinforcement at that range they are sharing.

Issue 2: Anytime you have the same frequencies being played in different locations from your ear, interference patterns erupt. Same thing like waves in a pond. So depending on the frequency and the minute location differences of your ears, different sound will be heard!

Answer: Kill off the stock tweeters, pull out some of the tweeter output via the crossovers included with the Infinity's (its usually a switch), then mount those tweeters high and far away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also concur, Infinities are brutal on the eardrums. I had them in my old vehicle for about a week, then returned them. I splurged for some gray market Focals, much fuller smoother sound. If you can return the Infinitie's, JL Audio is a good choice bang for the buck high quality well made speaker these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts