Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 2001 Escape I bought in January, Old #303, has blown its alternator this afternoon. Driving along -- wondering what happened to the characteristic whine that was a mainstay of this particular V6 -- suddenly the nav system cut out. Then the air conditioner turned off. And finally, a loss of acceleration -- I was pressing, but there was no power. I managed to scoot off into a parking lot just as the engine sputtered out.

A call to JAF (Japan's Triple-A) and an hour's wait later, we found that the alternator had gone to see Henry (people go to see Jesus when they die; Fords go to see Henry).

Luckily, this is covered under our 1-year used car warranty, but... seriously, an alternator blowing after a total of 39,000km? That's a rather unlucky event right there.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
That is too bad to hear but not unusual with a 2001 Escape.
39000km seems extremely low for that car, which points me to some non-kosher thoughts.
I'm curious if with the new alternator you still have that "characteristic" whining you mentioned.
If not then the old one was trying for your attention.
All the best

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would pass that up to just one of those things that happen. Just like any electronics, some may last you a lifetime, others will crap out at an early age. But the higher quality parts will lessen that chance so thats a reason I stick to the good stuff and dont go cheap :shades:

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Your Escape may have low milage but it is still 9 years old. 9 years isn't bad for an alternator. Like Katscan says, some last forever, others will crap out after a year... you never know. My alternator has has a similar whine since the day I got it. I've heard the same thing on just about all early model escapes. Not the greatest design. I'm also curious to hear if the replacement has the smae whine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobtRoma said:
Your Escape may have low milage but it is still 9 years old. 9 years isn't bad for an alternator. Like Katscan says, some last forever, others will crap out after a year... you never know. My alternator has has a similar whine since the day I got it. I've heard the same thing on just about all early model escapes. Not the greatest design. I'm also curious to hear if the replacement has the smae whine.
Yes, me too. And the blessing in disguise here is, at least I'll have a brand-new alternator. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Additional note: I'm also using this opportunity, while the car's in the shop, to have them look at the keyless entry too (which has never worked properly since the day I bought it). If we can have that penciled in under the warranty... (although I don't want to get greedy here, you know?)

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
the2belo said:
A call to JAF (Japan's Triple-A) and an hour's wait later, we found that the alternator had gone to see Henry (people go to see Jesus when they die; Fords go to see Henry). .
I like that haha

Hopefully your new alternator is amazing! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
the2belo said:
If we can have that penciled in under the warranty... (although I don't want to get greedy here, you know?)
I don't know... if this is covered you should bring it up. I would if I paid for and extended warranty. I'd bring up everything that's not right and covered. That's what I did when my Escape was under warranty...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: The alternator of course will be covered under warranty, although that was a given at the start.

They might also cover the keyless entry receiver, although I'm having that done whether it's covered or not; I'm tired of having to use the key for everything.

The other thing for which the jury is still out is: the transmission. One thing I have been concerned about since I bought this Escape is its tendency to shudder -- sometimes alarmingly -- when dropping down from 4th to 3rd gear while going uphill, with a noise that sounds like grrrrrRRRONK. Now, nothing has actually failed, but after spending over half my life behind the wheel of automobiles I can't recall ever feeling or hearing such a thing before, and after reading various scary stories on this board and elsewhere about early-model Escapes' transmissions going wonky, I decided to mention it to the shop guys.

Now as all of you fellow readers are aware, a transmission is not something that can be changed out like a courtesy light bulb. I'm likely the least knowledgeable about cars on this entire board, but even I know that to repair a transmission, you have to pretty much take the entire car apart until you're working with pieces the size of a walnut, and it costs about as much as the gross national product of the European Union to put it back together again. The shop mentioned a figure like US$3,000, which is 1/3 the price of the entire car in the first place.

If that can be covered under warranty, then I'm all for it. Otherwise....

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It is unfortunate that sooner or later you will have to deal with the transmission problem.
The symptom you mentioned further leads me to believe that this car has done many thousands more miles than the ones you mentioned before.
In order to prolong the time of this costly repair you can change the transmission oil following the manufacturer's instructions and add at least a quart of LUCAS transmission conditioner.It won't fix it but it will keep it running for a while.Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SUVord said:
It is unfortunate that sooner or later you will have to deal with the transmission problem.
The symptom you mentioned further leads me to believe that this car has done many thousands more miles than the ones you mentioned before.
In order to prolong the time of this costly repair you can change the transmission oil following the manufacturer's instructions and add at least a quart of LUCAS transmission conditioner.It won't fix it but it will keep it running for a while.Good luck.
I don't think I've been rooked on the mileage, but yeah... if the transmission isn't going to be covered, then I'm just going to have to maintain it more meticulously until I can afford such a thing.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
THE BIG ALTERNATOR MATCH-UP

Surfscape 4-SUVord 4
...going into extra time!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I hear vuvuzelas...

:bill:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
jpark said:
I hear vuvuzelas...

:bill:
Oh please, anything but vuvuzelas.
They spoiled this year's World Cup enjoyment for me.
I can bear the red card but not that "pneumatic exercise of nonsense".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts