Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I had my first major problem with the escape, it wouldnt start.

It was very cold this morning, probably around -10 degrees C

It was making a clicking sound, and the first thing that came to my mind was the starter.
Since this was right before work I had no time to mess around with it and ended up getting a ride to work.

When I got home to my surprise the escape started!, but the lights were dim and would get brighter when given some gas. So basically the lights were getting dimmer by the second. A bit later we left the headlights on just to see if that would kill the battery, and it did. In like 10 minutes.

so...

we went and bought a new battery, which has a lot more cold cranking amps and cranking amps. (almost 800 cca) and the battery is twice the size as the old interstate that was in there.

To make a long story short, we put this new battery in, and it started up fine, lights were bright, until a few minutes later, the lights started dimming by the second again.

Im not sure what to think at this point other than I think it might be the alternator.

Does anyone else have any ideas or know what this is from experience?

thanks for any help.
-jordan

ps. we're making an appointment with the stealership within the next few days.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If thats the alternator, Im prepared to pay that, but I'm hoping its something less.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
It definitely sounds like an alternator to me. How mechanically inclined are you? Replacing the alternator is not really that hard. I'm sure we can get a detailed install job up for you or I think Autozone may even have something up for it...I'll look into that but I know I would install the alternator myself if I needed to. I have done it before on my 94 S10 I used to have.

**Edit**

Clicky

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was the summer I might have attempted it myself, but since theres like 2 feet of snow, thats not at option....

anyways, got it in to ford today, and it was the alternator, 3 hours and 615$ later....

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Ouch!!!

:bill:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
thats crazy. i have a piece of my housing broken off, and its still working lol, but once it quits i will pull it off myself, and just buy the parts. im sure i could fix it for less then 50 bucks. i know the housing is going to cost 20-30.

·
Registered
82 Posts
you all make it sound so easy last time i had it done my mechanic said it was the worst one he has ever done took him like three hours and he had to lift the engine up like three inches or something like that

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yarritspete said:
you all make it sound so easy last time i had it done my mechanic said it was the worst one he has ever done took him like three hours and he had to lift the engine up like three inches or something like that
yeah, on more than one site (including this one) they all say you have to take the right front axle off, and the inner fender guard thing, so thats what turned me away. Its behind the engine at the bottom...

(not mine by the way, mines waaay more clean :thumb: )

behind all that stuff...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have a ramp hoist and a full tool box at work lol, so to me its just the time really, and having someone to give me a ride to the auto electric store with the alternator so they can match up the parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts