Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my 2013 Escape Titanium I've thought the ambient lighting was too dim. On page 73-74 the Escape Owners Manual states the following:

AMBIENT LIGHTING (IF EQUIPPED)
The ambient lighting system illuminates
the interior with a choice of several colors.
The ambient lighting control is located in
the overhead console.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13204om4e.pdf
Ambient Lighting Button Group Picture Here

A Color palette
B Control knob
C Search mode
Rotate B past the first detent to switch on
and adjust to the desired brightness.
Press A to cycle through the color choices.
Press C to switch on all interior lamps and
the ambient lighting. Press C again to
switch off the interior lamps and return the
ambient lighting to the previously selected
color.
The ambient lighting will switch on when
the following conditions have been met:
• you switch the ignition on
• you switch the headlamps on
• the outside ambient light level is low.
The ambient lighting will remain on until
you switch the ignition off and one of the
following conditions have been met:
• you lock your vehicle
• the accessory delay timer expires.

My Problem: I sense the detent when rotating Knob B but only when immediately turning the knob from off. The knob turns smoothly and does dim/brighten the ambient lighting but IMO not bright enough. Is this normal? The manual states "...first detent..." are there more? Every time I see a Ford picture depicting an interior with ambient lighting I laugh because this is definitely not what my interior looks like when the knob it turned all the way up. I appreciate any feedback you all have to give me. TIA.

· Premium Member
7,658 Posts
You'd be surprised what kind of effect a long-exposure picture can have on something like ambient lighting in a car.

· Premium Member
7,658 Posts
My system is a little different. I'd say it's the placement that is more odd than the brightness. Also, blue, white and green are by far the brightest options I have. Red and purple are pretty dark.

· Premium Member
7,658 Posts
FWIW, it is supposed to be ambient lighting, not full footwell lighting when the doors are opened.

· Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2012, my mom has a 2013. My 2012's ambient lighting is literally 4 or 5 times brighter than my mom's 2013. In fact, I had a 2010 Fusion and also my friend has an 08 Milan both with ambient lighting and my 2012 is brighter than the Fusion and Milan's combined. But the 2013's is definitely MUCH dimmer than any of the other Ford products I've been in with ambient lighting... maybe it's just how they are?

· Registered
725 Posts
Yeah, mine pretty dim as well. That's just how it is I guess. I wish it were brighter, especially since we have a rotary dimmer. Why go to the effort of giving us a dimmer when the adjustment range is from off to almost-as-bright-as-a-lit-cigarette.

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
775 Posts
Does anyone know how to change the color on the '13 escape? The above button doesn't change it, and there's no option on the touchscreen.
I just wanted to comment on the fact that this site says you have zero posts… And yet, here you are
Welcome to the city.
My interior lighting is bright, even if I dammit… I am looking at going the other way in my 20 TI
I have shoved napkins down into the cupholders to dim them.
The lighting in my 2009 was perfect, and easy to manage. I always choose red, or green, because they do not affect night vision/dilate the pupils

1 - 9 of 9 Posts